8 replies to this topic

#1 Whenindisgrace

Whenindisgrace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

The Young Vic's put on some fantastic stuff in the past year or so, but I can't help feeling that A Doll's House and Three Sisters are as unadventurous a choice of plays as you could put on, even if Simon Stephens is involved in the former and Benedict Andrews in the latter.  Ian MacNeil is doing the Doll's House set and they promise or threaten us with 'A Doll's House for the 21st century'.  Perhaps I'm just getting old.

There are a lot of great playwrights from that era whose work is rarely if ever done, or who have major plays unperformed for ages:  Strindberg, Schnitzler, Hauptmann, Claudel.

#2 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

Two classics back to back is all a bit safe isn't it?  They gave us Hamlet when London must of had at least 300 playing at anyone time 2010 / 2011 season! Welcome to the season of safe programming  B) ... NT will give us steptoe and son, RSC Loose woman the musical! & ENO Starlight Express ....

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#3 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:29 AM

View PostReich, on 27 February 2012 - 09:07 PM, said:

NT will give us steptoe and son, RSC Loose woman the musical! & ENO Starlight Express ....
Actually, Kneehigh are giving us Steptoe & Son this year. I don't know if the tour includes the NT.

#4 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 28 February 2012 - 12:29 AM, said:

Actually, Kneehigh are giving us Steptoe & Son this year. I don't know if the tour includes the NT.

omg. i must be mystic meg  :D

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#5 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

I booked for both, haven't seen either although I studied A Doll's House at school.  

I did think when they were announced that it was pretty conservative booking.  I could understand one of them and then something a little more leftfield but not both.  Not really what I think we look at the YV to be doing.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#6 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

Their two main house shows immediately preceding these, Wild Swans and The Suit, are less familiar titles in the theatre. And there aren't that many innovative productions of classics in midscale theatres in London, other than visitors to the Barbican.

#7 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

View PostWhenindisgrace, on 27 February 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

Perhaps I'm just getting old.

Me too.

Classics with a twist. Yawn!
If I listed every show I'd seen since 1974 I'd get RSI.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

#8 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

View PostWhenindisgrace, on 27 February 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

Perhaps I'm just getting old.

View PostSchuttep, on 28 February 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

Me too.
I like to look at what future shows I've booked to see and ask myself which I'd most regret missing by dying beforehand.

#9 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

Funny that. I was going to have an op once and I had tickets for a play I wanted to see very soon after. I made the show if a little unsteadily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users