Never Forget Tour 09 - Manchester

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
191 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE(lizziett @ Feb 15 2009, 08:07 PM) View Post
With just under 7 weeks until the tour starts, this is slightly worrying.

Why is it worrying?

#32 rach22uk

rach22uk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Feb 15 2009, 08:58 PM) View Post
Why is it worrying?

Well because...

1) If they're struggling to cast, we wouldn't want to see someone picked who wasn't up to scratch due to timing issues. And

2) Because this is an entire new cast, not just a minor cast change and they have to rehearse an entire show and get it on the road....granted the first cast managed it in about 4 weeks give or take, but the show was far from perfect at that time and it took a long, long time to get it somewhere near polished.

We just don't want to see a show we loved and felt was at a really good standard, lose any of what made it special sad.gif

#33 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

I'm not playing devils advocate, but when has this show ever been of a good standard? It's awful, the cast cringeworthy, the script dire and when the most impressive element is a posh rain curtain you want to worry. I'm sure the cast give their all but you can't make a silk purse out of...well ...a bag of faeces. A shame.

#34 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

1) If they're struggling to cast, we wouldn't want to see someone picked who wasn't up to scratch due to timing issues.

Who ever said they were struggling to cast. Haven't we been through this before?

Until fairly recently most shows were always cast only a few weeks prior to rehearsals starting. It is only in the last few years where shows have taken months to cast. Why can't a show be auditioned, cast, offered and accepted in the space of a week or even a couple of days? I've known that to happen. That way the cast are not sitting around waiting for 3 months for their job to start.
Also, all the people who were away during the last lot of auditions, because of Panto, will now be back.
I'm sure that the producers, director et al won't pick someone who's not "up to scratch". Give them some credit.

2) Because this is an entire new cast, not just a minor cast change and they have to rehearse an entire show and get it on the road....granted the first cast managed it in about 4 weeks give or take, but the show was far from perfect at that time and it took a long, long time to get it somewhere near polished.

What difference will it make whether the show was cast 3 months ago or the day before rehearsals? They're not going to have any longer to rehearse the thing? The rehearsal period is a set amount of time, irrespective of when the show was cast.

The first cast not had only had to learn the show in 4 weeks but more importantly the Creatives had to direct and choreograph it. I would assume that there were lots of trials, changes, cuts and general hoohah the first time round, because this was an unknown quantity. Now the show is an existing, working, polished product and all they will be doing is teaching it to new people, not trying out new things. That's what takes the time. 3 weeks rehearsal and a few days technical rehearsal will be ample and about the norm for a tour.

#35 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE(guest @ Feb 15 2009, 09:12 PM) View Post
I'm not playing devils advocate, but when has this show ever been of a good standard? It's awful, the cast cringeworthy, the script dire and when the most impressive element is a posh rain curtain you want to worry. I'm sure the cast give their all but you can't make a silk purse out of...well ...a bag of faeces. A shame.

In your opinion.

#36 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:04 PM

I have seen the show - and found it enjoyable but it isn't a hard show to stage in any stretch of the imagination, Grease only had 3 weeks rehearsal I can't see this needing any more
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#37 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:11 AM

They have cast 5 new guys... not similar in anyway to the last 5. This is because Ed Curtis is keen to have a new bunch with a completely different take on the show. Also they aren't struggling to cast it - all the boys are cast just some haven't been published on the fan myspace site, that's all. Also its a new designer so I'm thinking this might be a slightly different production... will be exciting see.

#38 lizziett

lizziett

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:http://craigeels.com<br />http://www.myspace.com/neverforgetmusical

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE(Guest @ Feb 16 2009, 12:11 AM) View Post
They have cast 5 new guys... not similar in anyway to the last 5. This is because Ed Curtis is keen to have a new bunch with a completely different take on the show. Also they aren't struggling to cast it - all the boys are cast just some haven't been published on the fan myspace site, that's all. Also its a new designer so I'm thinking this might be a slightly different production... will be exciting see.

Well they've got rid of those stupid walls which should be a slight improvement!

#39 lizziett

lizziett

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:http://craigeels.com<br />http://www.myspace.com/neverforgetmusical

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:14 AM

Can I also ask - is Karen Bruce choreographing? smile.gif

#40 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:38 AM

Yes Karen is still Choreographer...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users