60 replies to this topic

#11 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

Wicked would be very well on tour and it could run alongside the London production like WWRY and Lion King will be but I imagine it'll only do three month stints at the big theatres.  

What about Plymouth as a possible venue? Both Mary Poppins and Oliver! did Plymouth for their UK tour and it's big enough to host big musicals.

Dublin I think would be very likely for TLK and for Disney to present the Irish premiere of TLK would be a big deal.

#12 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:57 AM

I'd be surprised if wicked did 3 month stops, its not at the level of the lion king. I'd say 4 to 6 week runs like phantom and oliver

#13 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

Course, folks.. that tour reference could well be about The Wizard of Oz? Arguably more plausible to tour considering it's almost certain (from what we keep hearing) to come out of the Palladium during the next few months.  I still can't see Wicked touring yet. It's doing well in London, why risk that success with a tour which could deplete the UK tourist visits? I don't really know (as I can't take myself out of the theatre community) how well the name "Wicked" is known beyond anyone who goes to theatre or lives outside London. Probably nowhere near the level of other shows which have toured as well as keeping a London production running in recent years (Les Mis, Chicago, Lion King).

#14 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

View PostDanielWhit, on 05 March 2012 - 09:19 AM, said:

<br />Course, folks.. that tour reference could well be about The Wizard of Oz? Arguably more plausible to tour considering it's almost certain (from what we keep hearing) to come out of the Palladium during the next few months.  I still can't see Wicked touring yet. It's doing well in London, why risk that success with a tour which could deplete the UK tourist visits? I don't really know (as I can't take myself out of the theatre community) how well the name &quot;Wicked&quot; is known beyond anyone who goes to theatre or lives outside London. Probably nowhere near the level of other shows which have toured as well as keeping a London production running in recent years (Les Mis, Chicago, Lion King).<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I had heard from a fairly reliable source a Wicked tour was planned 2013/14. they also said about Lion King and that turned out to be true hence why im going with Wicked.  I suspect WOZ set will be shipped to Toronto

#15 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

I think Wicked will tour the UK eventually, didn't both Les Mis and Phantom have UK tours before? The Lion King will be a hit on tour no doubt and it's not going to affect the London production which is still going strong at the Lyceum.

I do wonder if Disney will move it to a smaller theatre in the future if a new show needs a theatre like the Lyceum, they've done it with Lion King on Broadway to make way for Mary Poppins and also Beauty and the Beast to make way for Aida.  

Going off-topic, if Newsies is a hit on Broadway, I wonder if it'll transfer here in 2013/2014?

#16 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

View PostTitan, on 05 March 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

I suspect WOZ set will be shipped to Toronto

Yeah - you don't need a marvel detector to spot that shipment coming a mile off! There's also no way Wizard of Oz would tour with that set, considering how much structural work they had to do at the Palladium for it to work. In fact - the news of Toronto opening is probably the one firm nail in coffin we've got as to the London production's future.

View PostJon, on 05 March 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

I think Wicked will tour the UK eventually, didn't both Les Mis and Phantom have UK tours before? The Lion King will be a hit on tour no doubt and it's not going to affect the London production which is still going strong at the Lyceum.

Phantom has had tours of sorts before where it sat down at a venue for 3/6 months before moving on within the UK but they didn't have many stops (enough to satisfy the Northerners I suspect before pulling efforts firmly back on their London mounts). I don't think Les Mis ever toured in the UK before the 25th bash though.

The thing is The Lion King is still packing the Lyceum out with no need to discount, at the moment only that and Matilda are regularly doing so (they didn't discount for GILT), so no - there's no risk of it having a major impact on London at the moment. Though like you said, Disney are known to pull firm money spinners to throw in other productions they want to stage. So, who knows - perhaps this is one big way of saying "The Lion King is leaving London in a couple of years time, but we're going to get it on tour first so it doesn't look like an afterthought". Who knows.

#17 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

View PostDanielWhit, on 05 March 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

The thing is The Lion King is still packing the Lyceum out with no need to discount, at the moment only that and Matilda are regularly doing so (they didn't discount for GILT), so no - there's no risk of it having a major impact on London at the moment. Though like you said, Disney are known to pull firm money spinners to throw in other productions they want to stage. So, who knows - perhaps this is one big way of saying &quot;The Lion King is leaving London in a couple of years time, but we're going to get it on tour first so it doesn't look like an afterthought&quot;. Who knows.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I expect The Lion King to downsize and move theatres before they close it in London, if it is still packing the audiences then why close? Poppins closed but sales had fallen and I think the decision to close and tour was Cameron Mackintosh rather than Disney, the Broadway production of Poppins is still running but I suspect it'll close when Disney wants the New Amsterdam for a big show. They've got a lot of things in development after a quiet few years such as Alice in Wonderland, The Jungle Book, Freaky Friday, Dumbo and Father of the Bride although some of the titles like Freaky Friday are being developed for licensing purposes rather than Broadway or London.

#18 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

Les mis has toured the uk in its original form, mid to late 90s and possibly a tour before that too. It's toured about as much as phantom

#19 Alistair

Alistair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

View PostDanielWhit, on 05 March 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

<br />Phantom has had tours of sorts before where it sat down at a venue for 3/6 months before moving on within the UK but they didn't have many stops (enough to satisfy the Northerners I suspect before pulling efforts firmly back on their London mounts). I don't think Les Mis ever toured in the UK before the 25th bash though.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Les Mis toured the UK from 1992 to 1994 - when I say toured, it played Manchester, Dublin and Edinburgh.  From memory, it was in Manchester for about a year; Dublin for around 3 months; and Edinburgh about 5 months.  It then toured again from about 1997 to 1999, doing 2 or 3 months stops at more venues across the UK.  Then there was the 25th anniversary tour.

Again from memory, Phantom has had the same number of tours, and seems to have followed the same pattern as Les Mis (in terms of length of stays / venues).

#20 groupbooker

groupbooker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:31 PM

Cant see the Plymouth Theatre Royal having the show for a couple of years. ATG will do their theatres first then it MAY downsize, but there is a good bit of work changing the stalls around for the walk in at the start.They dont like long runs at the Royal,I know they have Phantom and Oliver for 5 weeks but thats usually their limit. If its played in Bristol for 3 months, believe me the masses from Devon and Cornwall are going there this year. Getting very hard to get seats in Bristol now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users