Bradford - 21 MARCH – 10 MAY 2014

#52 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:28 PM

Saw this at the Birmingham Hippodrome for the very first time last month. Visually I thought this show was stunning in the way in which the animals, landscapes were created, awesome puppetry, scenery and costumes, but as an actual musical, I don't think it really has adapted that well as it basically just felt like watching the Disney film "live on stage". I did enjoy the show but yet it didn't give me that feeling of seeing something new at the theatre. Maybe it's because I'm in my late teens now and might of grown out of Disney (despite the fact I love Mary Poppins as a stage musical because the plot is deeper than the film and different which made it feel like a proper piece of English Literature again) but I don't appal it nor think it should close in the West End, there is obviously an incredible audience for it. Also, just out of curiosity, (as I am also fascinated by design and theatre architecture) when the show played the Bristol Hippodrome, which aisles did the animals use in the stalls as I have noticed that it has two outer aisles yet only one central aisle? Or were two inner aisles created for the show?

#53 Priscillalover

Priscillalover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

View Postjamescrispy94, on 17 October 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

Saw this at the Birmingham Hippodrome for the very first time last month. Visually I thought this show was stunning in the way in which the animals, landscapes were created, awesome puppetry, scenery and costumes, but as an actual musical, I don't think it really has adapted that well as it basically just felt like watching the Disney film "live on stage". I did enjoy the show but yet it didn't give me that feeling of seeing something new at the theatre. Maybe it's because I'm in my late teens now and might of grown out of Disney (despite the fact I love Mary Poppins as a stage musical because the plot is deeper than the film and different which made it feel like a proper piece of English Literature again) but I don't appal it nor think it should close in the West End, there is obviously an incredible audience for it. Also, just out of curiosity, (as I am also fascinated by design and theatre architecture) when the show played the Bristol Hippodrome, which aisles did the animals use in the stalls as I have noticed that it has two outer aisles yet only one central aisle? Or were two inner aisles created for the show?

The Bristol Hippodrome's stalls was given a complete revamp in time for the lion king. The Hippodrome was closed for 6 weeks over summer 2012.

#54 JonnyWill25

JonnyWill25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:17 PM

So the remaining confirmed cities are Edinburgh, Bradford and Liverpool. Are we expecting any other further dates? I'll be shocked if The Lion King doesn't stop off at the WMC in Cardiff - I have gone to this theatre to watch many shows and I think it would be perfect for The Lion King.

What do you all think?

#55 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

Southampton to be announced

#56 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

Southampton, Sunderland and Cardiff now announced

#57 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

View PostPriscillalover, on 19 October 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

The Bristol Hippodrome's stalls was given a complete revamp in time for the lion king. The Hippodrome was closed for 6 weeks over summer 2012.
I may be biased of course but the Bristol Hippodrome is an absolute top drawer debutante stunner of a theatre... :D

#58 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

View PostRyan, on 07 January 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

I may be biased of course but the Bristol Hippodrome is an absolute top drawer debutante stunner of a theatre... :D

I would be inclined to agree!

#59 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

Have to say Southampton has a strong Autumn with Lion King, Rock of Ages, Singin in the Rain and Wicked. I'm sure Lion King will be a hit in those venues

#60 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

Agreed, in fact the whole year exceptionally strong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users