1056 replies to this topic

#11 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3361 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:30 AM

It's difficult as it really could go either way. I am struggling to think of people I could see it with. It's mainly younger friends who would get it, but they wouldn't pay £60 for a ticket

#12 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

View PostLover, on 06 March 2012 - 06:11 AM, said:

<br />Anyone remember the protests for Jerry Springer the musical!. . . . . . . i think this could be a lot worse. Im sure a certain demographic of people would soon be outside saying its sinful and stuff. Sure even some law could be found to ban it. !Welcome to Britain after all. Were all open minded people here. . . . NOT!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I've never heard of Jerry Springer The Musical, but the protests for Jerry Springer The Opera only occurred when it was aired on TV.  I don't think there will be protests in the West End about it.  The UK are a lot more open about this sort of thing than the US... and there were no protests there on Broadway... only praise! Let's hope the same scenario plays out here.
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#13 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

View PostLover, on 06 March 2012 - 06:11 AM, said:

&lt;br /&gt;Anyone remember the protests for Jerry Springer the musical!. . . . . . . i think this could be a lot worse. Im sure a certain demographic of people would soon be outside saying its sinful and stuff. Sure even some law could be found to ban it. !Welcome to Britain after all. Were all open minded people . . . NOT!&lt;br /&gt;
<br /><br />

There won't be a law to ban it, that's being a bit hyperbolic.

I don't think there'll be protests as such, but I struggle to see how it will find a big enough audience to keep going.  It took Avenue Q a while to catch on here and I personally don't find that particularly offensive, whereas I do find some of the lyrics in BoM offensive.  BoM's problem is that its subject matter could polarise audiences, whereas Avenue Q can easily advertise itself as Sesame Street for adults and that works.

I think the real problem has already been pointed out though - Hair and Spring Awakening both haven't been successful here recently, so what makes BoM (which in my mind is more controversial than Spring Awakening, though not by much) likely to be any different?  Broadway success is irrelevant - Legally Blonde flopped on Broadway but has been a hit here - and a comparison to Wicked is also irrelevant as Wicked doesn't even run the risk of offending anyone and can run advertising off the connection to the Wizard of Oz, which I'd say almost everyone knows of even if they haven't seen the movie.

#14 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

View Postposter J, on 06 March 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

I think the real problem has already been pointed out though - Hair and Spring Awakening both haven't been successful here recently, so what makes BoM (which in my mind is more controversial than Spring Awakening, though not by much) likely to be any different?
Spring Awakening was successful at the Lyric Hammersmith but not commercially successful on its hasty transfer to the West End. In contrast, the West End production of The Book of Mormon has been in preparation for over a year before opening which allows plenty of time for considered and optimum marketing and promotion.

#15 Zinone

Zinone

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

It'll be huge.

#16 Lover

Lover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

Not sure why I put musical.

Actually there were protests when it was on your. However when it was on tour there were protests at the theatres. I had friends in the cast who confirms so. Never stopped a show going on but many venue had protests and people handing out leaflets about how bad it was.

I guess Jesus in a nappy was everyone's cup tea.

In my opinion though, if you don't like it don't go. Don't ruin it for the others who do.

Of course it will be huge. Curiosity alone will propell it to self sustaining.

#17 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:45 PM

Depends on the publicity campaign - I doubt hardly anyone beyond the theatrical community (who'd possibly go anyway) knows about the show, and it's hardly as though the Mormon culture is well known about in the UK either. It would need to have one heck of a good campaign to sustain itself, else it will fall flat very quickly I suspect.

#18 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

The intention is to cast the show in the UK. I'm sure that astute casting will help attract the intended audience demographics. You may be right that some people insufficiently au fait with Mormon culture will decline to attend. Just like the general unpopularity of Les Miserables due to widespread British ignorance of the history of the Paris commune.

#19 actup

actup

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:51 AM

ibinabo jack should play Nabulungi

hugo harold harrison should play elder price

jon robyns Elder McKinley

#20 BAGibb

BAGibb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hmm I would've thought Robyns would be great for Price.And Daniely Boys for Mckinley.

Also tagged with Prince of Wales Theatre

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users