1056 replies to this topic

#181 jp89

jp89

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

I have a friend who has been working as a production assistant for the company and she has said that they have had troubles as they obviously want to find the best people possible. I think it all changed as well when the writers came over to join casting. Cunningham has been one of the problems as they need to find 3 people who could play him. A friend of mine was seen for the role and they were very specific about not trying to re-create the original Broadway actors.

#182 BAGibb

BAGibb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

Ah, Cunningham...That exaplains a lot I guess. But the entire female ensemble being recast? Also, what do you mean by 'not trying to re-create the the original broadway actors'?

#183 jp89

jp89

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostBAGibb, on 25 September 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

Ah, Cunningham...That exaplains a lot I guess. But the entire female ensemble being recast? Also, what do you mean by 'not trying to re-create the the original broadway actors'?

It may not be the entire female ensemble. Maybe they hadn't found all of them yet. I think what they mean't regarding to the broadway cast, was that they didn't want copies of the original cast. Pretty difficult really as all performances will have slight same-ness as it's written that way.

#184 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

There's now a promoted BoM trend on Twitter - #BookOfMormonTickets, wonder if that'll drive up sales??
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#185 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:49 PM

View Postjp89, on 25 September 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

Cunningham has been one of the problems as they need to find 3 people who could play him. A friend of mine was seen for the role and they were very specific about not trying to re-create the original Broadway actors.

Hmm.  Do you know what the vocal range for the part is?
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#186 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

Yeah, I can see Cunningham being a sticking point. Another stumbling block they may have encountered is a shortage in experienced black cast members, what with 2 versions of the Lion King in the UK at the moment.

#187 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 08 March 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

The intention is to cast the show in the UK. I'm sure that astute casting will help attract the intended audience demographics. You may be right that some people insufficiently au fait with Mormon culture will decline to attend. Just like the general unpopularity of Les Miserables due to widespread British ignorance of the history of the Paris commune.
They can't cast it here they're going American

#188 BAGibb

BAGibb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

View PostJamiem, on 28 September 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

They can't cast it here they're going American

Say what now?

#189 theatremadhatter

theatremadhatter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

I can't believe they wouldn't be able to find a Price here. I think there have been tons of good suggestions Mark Evans, Jon Robyn's, Daniel Boyz. I can see how Cunningham would be more difficult. I still think Nathan Amzi would be a good Cunningham. Most importantly he's funny, has a strong tenor voice and is physically in the right ballpark. I even heard James Corden was being looked at. Or how about David Fynn who was in Spelling Bee at the Donmar he was great. Oh well I do hope it's an English cast.

Still can't wait to see the show and very excited they are bringing the Lottery over!!

#190 BAGibb

BAGibb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

Well they did already cast two British ensemble members, and as mentioned previously rumour has it Mark will be Price but Nathan didn't make it.

As much as I really do hate stunt casting, I can see Cunningham being played by a celebrity - It's a role for a character actor more than a role for highly trained, experience MT actors...not that I'd complain if it were the latter.

This is a long shot, but Will Blum (Standby Cunningham on Browadway currently) seems to have been 'promoted' (for want of a better word) to be some sort of alternative with Cale Krise (the current Cunningham)...anyone know why that is?

Also tagged with Prince of Wales Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users