#411 DeNada

DeNada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

View Postsushisamba, on 26 February 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

So excited for this. What are the sets like?

The sets are quite "old fashioned" in a way (although the lighting most certainly isn't!).  I don't think there's any automation at all, for instance.  Lots of beautiful painted cloths that drop in and out, some screens straight out of the Bodyguard (used well for gags) and a few pieces for the African village.  It's deliberately unrealistic because the show needs a kind of heightened, almost cartoony atmosphere to work.

It's not a high tech megamusical by any means - and it's all the better for it.

#412 serpentstoooth

serpentstoooth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

Really loved this last night! Stephen Ashfield was amazing! I blogged about it if anyone want's to hear my rambling thoughts - http://serpents-toot...london-1st.html

#413 sushisamba

sushisamba

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

View PostDeNada, on 26 February 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

The sets are quite "old fashioned" in a way (although the lighting most certainly isn't!).  I don't think there's any automation at all, for instance.  Lots of beautiful painted cloths that drop in and out, some screens straight out of the Bodyguard (used well for gags) and a few pieces for the African village.  It's deliberately unrealistic because the show needs a kind of heightened, almost cartoony atmosphere to work.

It's not a high tech megamusical by any means - and it's all the better for it.
Thanks for this!

#414 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

Is it true Gavin is just contracted until June? was told this today, im going in july (i know a good while yet) if so who is elder price from june? or do we not know yet?

#415 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

Assume it'll be Mark Evans?

#416 Mothers Younger Brother

Mothers Younger Brother

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

What did anyone else who saw the show think of Alexia? On Saturday night I heard a few people say her Nabulungi didn't really work for them

#417 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

View Postmrtheatre123, on 26 February 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

Is it true Gavin is just contracted until June? was told this today, im going in july (i know a good while yet) if so who is elder price from june? or do we not know yet?

Mormon doesn't seem to announce casting changes until it is right on top of the change date. They didn't formally announce Gavin and Jared leaving the US tour till a couple of weeks before they left.

It is likely you'll be seeing Mark Evans. We have no idea how long the two yanks are contracted for, but Mark said he was going to the US for 7 months back in December (possibly November) so we know he is done with Mormon over there at the end of June, so it is speculated he will come over to the UK and go straight into the West End run. As for the Cunningham, is is likely one or more of the alternates currently in the cast will be promoted, which is what has happened on the other Mormon productions.

#418 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

View PostFireFingers, on 26 February 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

Mormon doesn't seem to announce casting changes until it is right on top of the change date. They didn't formally announce Gavin and Jared leaving the US tour till a couple of weeks before they left.

It is likely you'll be seeing Mark Evans. We have no idea how long the two yanks are contracted for, but Mark said he was going to the US for 7 months back in December (possibly November) so we know he is done with Mormon over there at the end of June, so it is speculated he will come over to the UK and go straight into the West End run. As for the Cunningham, is is likely one or more of the alternates currently in the cast will be promoted, which is what has happened on the other Mormon productions.

Oh ok, Thank You!! Not sure what i think about mark, didn't like him in wicked or ghost but maybe this suits him!

#419 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1220 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

Is the daily lottery happening during previews? Is anyone planning to do it during the run? What are the odds of getting one of the 21 available tickets for £20? There is no availability for ages on the website and the cost is almost £70 a ticket anyway for a good seat - ouch!

#420 JD094

JD094

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

Yeah, the Mormon team put a picture of today's lottery on Facebook earlier, I think, so it is running right from the start.
WEST END SHOWS:
2009: The Sound of Music - Oliver!
2010: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables
2011: Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical
2012: Ghost the Musical - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Shrek the Musical - Wicked
2013: Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Matilda - The Phantom of the Opera - Viva Forever! - Wicked
2014: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Once - The Phantom of the Opera - Wicked

Also tagged with Prince of Wales Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users