1056 replies to this topic

#421 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

Good news - thanks for that very swift response! I will give it a go - nothing to lose as the draw takes place 2 hours before curtain - so if you are unsucessful there is plenty of time to get a ticket for something else - TKTS is only just around the corner from the Prince of Wales theatre.

#422 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

I saw it tonight and I don't think I've laughed so hard, considering its only the second preview, the show is shaping up nicely, the cast is great but the standouts for me were Steven Ashfield as McKinley and Jared Gertner as Cunningham. It was nice being inside the Prince of Wales again as its such a lovely theatre,

I think the show is going to be a huge hit and I imagine tickets will be hard to get by the time the reviews come out.

#423 BAGibb

BAGibb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

Fantastic audience tonight for the best show I've ever seen. Very funny random moments tonigt included one of the tridents in hell dream breaking and flying into the audience and Chris Jarman corpsing at the end of I believe, prompting an even more positive audience reaction at the end of the song.

Some were asking which Elder played which in the show. I think I've worked it out as:

Mark Anderson as Poptarts/Harris
Daniel Clift as Church/Grant
Ashley Day as Cunninghams dad and Elder Neely/Young
Patrick George as Michaels/Cross(?), Brigham Young
Michael Kent as Davies/Brown(?), Mormon
Daniel Mackinlay as Elder Mackinlay (ironically, Benjamin Schraders part)/White
And Liam Wrate as Zelder/Smith

Think that's them, ita astonishing how similar they look at times.

Understudies:

Prices Dad/Joseph Smith/Mission President - Matt Krzan, Mark Anderson
McKinley - Mark Anderson, Michael Kent
Price - Ashley Day, Luke Newton
Mafala - Terel Nugent, Oliver Lidert
Nabalungi - Lucy St Louis, Candace Furbert
General - Tosh Wanogho-Maud, Terel Nugent

Hope this clears things up for anyone.

#424 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

Saw this tonight. It was incredible. I laughed so much when the trident went flying into the audience and Chris Jarman losing it and trying not to burst out laughing was so funny. Great audience. Dancing, singing, acting all great. So feel good and parts of it were incredibly moving. The actress (can't remember her character's name) who delivers the line "what the f*ck is a steak knife?" is absolutely fantastic. Great comedy actress with perfect timing. For me Stephen Ashfield stole the show but all the cast were fantastic. I loved it so much that I'm doing lottery tomorrow, if unsuccessful will go to TKTS and see something else. This is going to be my new addiction!

#425 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

Forgot about the trident flying, that was unintentionally funny,

#426 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

Can't believe I'm not seeing this for a month. Loving the positivity in this thread, but I wanna see it nowww. I would be there tomorrow if I wasn't seeing it as a treat with my gf. Once I have seen it once, I have a feeling I am going to be trying the lottery every couple of weeks, when I have the time.

#427 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:08 AM

I was lucky enough to bag a ticket 2 hours before the show started; easiest £50 ever.

Really enjoyed it.  I found the 2nd half funnier than the first - and the show-within-a-show was completely worth it!  The corpsing and flying trident really added fun moments (I wish they were part of the show!)

I look forward to seeing it once previews are over!
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#428 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

Can't believe what great shape the show is in already.
A few sound balancing issues, might have been as I was second row, but the band overpowered often.
And the aforementioned flying fork.

Huge audience reaction, amazing choreography, Stephan Ashfield is close to stealing the show, his timing was perfect. Cast is excellent top to bottom.

All around me people were wanting to see it again. It's clearly a hit.

Other than to the delfont room I've not been in the prince of Wales in years (I think I saw rent and maybe west side story there) so I was pleasantly surprised at what great condition the theatre is in and a total abundance of loos.

Biggest surprise, 3 full page ads for the Mormons in the programme.

#429 BAGibb

BAGibb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

Yeah I had the issue of sound balance at times as well and I was fourth row circle. Didn't happen much though, and then again the orchestra is incredible to listen to anyway so I wasn't bothered.

#430 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Agree about the loudness of the orchestra at times and I found it drowned out some of the lyrics at times. I was also in second row stalls. Also a few years since I was last in the POW. Very impressive venue, and staff that actually do their jobs properly. A bit disappointed with the programme, mostly full of ads. Would love a colour brochure with photos from the show. Maybe after opening they may do one?

Also tagged with Prince of Wales Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users