1061 replies to this topic

#441 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Looking forward to the culture show special. If you can't watch it "live", it'll be here after: http://www.bbc.co.uk...e_Show_Special/

The reason I avoid previews is I know the sound won't be great.

Theatres sound very different once they have been filled with people, which can't be done until the start of previews. Until then, the sound department can only guess. So the orchestra will often overwhelm the voices, especially in the sonically difficult spots like the front. Though each show, the sound designer and the associate sound designer (who is an acquaintance) spend each show trying to find dead spots in the auditorium until they get it right. When A Chorus Line went into previews, there were several complaints about the sound in that thread, but a week or so in no one mentioned the sound anymore. The sound will get better, along with slicker set changes, stronger acting etc.

#442 pepem

pepem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

I have a spare premium ticket for tomorrow night Thurs 28th Feb.  From row dress circle, sitting next to me and a mate, if you are interested.  Please email me pepemartinez@hotmail.co.uk

#443 Mothers Younger Brother

Mothers Younger Brother

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

I have a favour to ask: Would anyone be able to pick me up a programme? Of course, I'd pay for the programme and shipping. I went to the dress rehearsal on Saturday and they were unfortunately not selling programmes yet. Anyone who might be able to help, please PM me :)

#444 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1306 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

They never do brochures until after opening night.. They photograph during previews.

#445 acapella

acapella

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

I went last night having booked my tickets ages ago when they first came out, and it was worth every penny. I'd already seen the whole show on an illegal (and since removed) YouTube recording and know the soundtrack pretty much off by heart, but even I was blown away by it in the flesh. My friend and I didn't stop laughing and smiling all the way through and came out absolutely buzzing, as did everyone else judging by the atmosphere in the audience. I'd happily see it again right now!

#446 acapella

acapella

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

Oh and one particularly nice touch - swapping 'goat meat' for 'horse meat' in Sal Tlay Ka Siti!

#447 kjb

kjb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Has anyone seen this yet who hates South Park etc?

I hate South Park etc and nothing I've heard about this show makes me want to see it. However, if it's still an enjoyable night at the theatre then I may be prepared to give it a go.

Thanks

#448 theatrically

theatrically

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

I hate South Park it irritates the hell out of me but I saw Book of Mormon in New York and totally loved it

#449 BAGibb

BAGibb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

I guess it depends which particular aspect(s) of South Park you don't like.

#450 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

The big difference here is you're seeing likeable characters physically played by humans (as opposed to badly animated), an orchestra, good songs with (95%) proper scansion and a very touching story.  

The only South Park I can tolerate is the film because it's not rushed.  

Any new theatre is worth seeing.
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

Also tagged with Prince of Wales Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users