1056 replies to this topic

#451 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

I don't "hate" South Park but I'm not a regular viewer of it & that didn't stop me enjoying the show. It's completely different, I find South Park has flashes of humour & is occasionally quite clever but has nowhere near the consistency of BoM.

#452 ptwest

ptwest

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

Has anyone tried the lottery yet? Left it too late for next Saturday's matinee and am in desparate need of a good laugh? Just wondering if its up and running yet.

#453 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

They posted a video of the lottery on Facebook, so yes, it's up and running. As it seems this will be quite the west end resident, I'm not in too much of a rush to see it... But I'm hearing brilliant things from all directions so I might have to try the lottery out sooner than I thought!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#454 kjb

kjb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm starting to think I may need to give this a try. As it'll probably be around for ages, it'll take me a while to get round to it as there is other stuff I want to see that's on for a limited time.   It'll go onto my 'let's see it if there is NOTHING at all else on that I fancy and I can get a decent priced ticket' list...unless it posts closing notices in which case it'll go onto my ' make an effort to see before it closes' list.

#455 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

I tried the lottery on Thursday as I had seen a matinee and had backup plans for the evening if I didn't win - as indeed I didn't.  At least it was over quickly - you may enter up to 5.29 pm for the draw at 5.30 pm, though it's not advisable to leave it that late.  

However, the big disadvantage from my perspective is that entrants may request one or two tickets, and only about three winners had requested single tickets - which was what I wanted - so for the 21 tickets available, it took little more than half that number of draws to use up all the places.  Furthermore, you could be present and miss out, yet you could win despite being absent if you were the companion for a pair won by someone who was there - as the entrant must be.  And when I saw the draw, a winner whose name was drawn was already in the foyer, collecting her ticket because her companion had already won.

Obviously a lottery is just that, a game of chance, but I think it would be fairer if the theatre allowed entrants one seat only, as that way, there would be far more winners amongst those actually entering and attending the draw.

#456 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3377 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

but that would only be good if you go to the theatre alone, a tad unfair

#457 ptwest

ptwest

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

Thank you forthe information  KevinUk and Fringefan. I will see how my day goes next Saturday before making a final choice. I will only want one!!!

#458 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

I do understand your point fringe fan, but most regular theatre goers don't do it alone, and don't like to. Any more than 2 would be unfair, but I think 2 is fine. Plus, that amount of tickets given up because the winner's partner didn't win would be a lot, and so the lottery would take ages. I think what they have is the most fair the system can be.

#459 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

View Postfringefan, on 02 March 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

Obviously a lottery is just that, a game of chance, but I think it would be fairer if the theatre allowed entrants one seat only, as that way, there would be far more winners amongst those actually entering and attending the draw.

That's what they did with the Tennant Much Ado About Nothing and this is the fairest way to do. If you desperately don't want to go alone, you can buy regular tickets. I thought they would do the same with BoM.
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

#460 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

View PostFireFingers, on 02 March 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

I do understand your point fringe fan, but most regular theatre goers don't do it alone, and don't like to. Any more than 2 would be unfair, but I think 2 is fine. Plus, that amount of tickets given up because the winner's partner didn't win would be a lot, and so the lottery would take ages. I think what they have is the most fair the system can be.

No it isn't that fair as some "win" 2 tickets to use and others only 1!!!!
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

Also tagged with Prince of Wales Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users