1061 replies to this topic

#461 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

But you have a choice of how many you win!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#462 vintage-heart

vintage-heart

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

When Legally Blonde did the lottery whenever I went alone I tried to pair up with someone else who was also there alone and agree that I'd get two tickets and give one to them if I won and vice versa. That way you double your chance of winning!

#463 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

Of course each member is entitled to her/his opinion but I am mystified by comments insisting that most people prefer to go to the theatre in pairs and that winning by pairs is therefore fair and reasonable.  One entry = two tickets - is that fair?  And it's tough enough for single theatregoers out there as it is, without posters here actually declaring outright that we are abnormal!   Believe me, doubters, human beings are not normally born joined at the hip - it is possible to function as an individual.  Still, next time I might as well apply for two tickets myself, and if I win, invite someone else from the crowd to join me.

#464 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

actually i am a single theatregoer and more often than not go alone, and certainly dont feel like i want special treatment in lottos etc or im some kind of charity case. "its tough enough for single theatregoers out there" er wtf? never had an issue myself and certainly have never felt discrinated against, you make it sound like some sort of war.

why discriminate against people who want to go in pairs? your basically saying only solo theatregoers should be entitled to have the chance for cheap on the day tickets. solo theatre goers are just as capable of paying full price as two or more, ive done it loads of times.

to be honest you sound like you have the issue with being single

#465 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

So with the current system someone alone could win, or a couple could win.

Some people here are proposing only individuals should win.

Because that's fairer?!

#466 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

Best thing to so is to buddy up with someone else who is alone. I've done that before and it worked!

#467 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Everyone has the opertunity to win 2, if they so wish, don't they? Bar the last person to win who might be restricted to one, but that is again down to the luck of the draw.

And the Much Ado method wouldn't work as the show is expected to sell out completely bar these few seats, which is what it is doing Broadway for almost two years now, so people can't buy a full price seat.

Perhaps it would be fairer if all winners had to be present, but two tickets per "win" I think it is the right set up for a sold out show.

#468 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

I usually go to the theatre alone - most of my friends are not as "into" theatre as I am. I will try for the lottery for BOM and like Mark E I will try to buddy up with someone who is only wanting one ticket too in order to "double my chances" .

But if you were a couple queing for lottery tickets surely you would both enter (to double your chances) therefore possibly winning the chance to buy 4 tickets?

The problem I have is that I NEVER win anything! But at least it is over quite quickly from what the above posters have said! How many entered the lottery on those occasions for those 20 seats? What are the odds?

#469 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

but in reality if two people entered and both one the odds are they would hand one pair back as what would they do with two spare. or give to unsucceasful entrants

its no different to day seating except its fairer to those that cant be there at stupid o clock in the morning get a chance too

#470 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

View Postwickedgrin, on 02 March 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

The problem I have is that I NEVER win anything! But at least it is over quite quickly from what the above posters have said! How many entered the lottery on those occasions for those 20 seats? What are the odds?

I've tried twice so far (and failed twice) but both times it was over in 15 minutes so not much time lost indeed ;) And the BOM people make it quite fun with the game of "Ditch the date" for the final single ticket left. I would estimate there were anywhere between 75-125 people there.

Also tagged with Prince of Wales Theatre

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users