If I stay awake, it must be good.

#542 Ghostmusicalfan

Ghostmusicalfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

Saw this last Monday as a lottery winner.  Probably the best show I have seen in the West End in a very long time (with one exception).  I can see it being around for a good few years to come yet!
2013:

JANUARY: Peter Pan (Mcr Opera House), One Man Two Guvnors (Lowry), Of Mice and Men (Bolton Octagon), Moscow State Circus (Lowry)
FEBRUARY: Priscilla (Mcr Opera House), Jethro (Lowry), Guinness World Records (Lowry), Peacock & Gamble (Lowry)
MARCH: Book of Mormon (LDN), Billy Elliot (LDN), Horrible Histories (Lowry), New Jersey Nights (Mcr Opera House), 8 out of 10 Cats (Media City), Hairspray (School Production), The Hollies (Lowry), Marti Pellow (Lowry), Sing-a-long a Grease (Lowry), Rocky Horror (Mcr Opera House)
APRIL: Ghost on Tour Cardiff x6, Ghost on Tour Wimbledon x1
MAY: Woman in Black (Lowry), Blues Brothers - Approved (Mcr Opera House), Ghost on Tour Edinburgh x3, Carnaby Street (Mcr Opera House)
JUNE: Omid Djalili (Lowry) Ghost on Tour Wolverhampton x2, Ghost on Tour Leeds x4, Sherlock Holmes (Mcr Opera House)
JULY:  Ghost on Tour Manchester x23, Joseph (Stockport Plaza), Rehearsal Space (Mcr Fringe), Countdown (Media City), Mastermind (Media City), Dave Grusin & Lee Ritenor (Mcr Fringe), Disney Live (Lowry), Momentous Musicals (Mcr Palace)
AUGUST:  Grease (Mcr Palace), Soul Sister (L'pool Empire), How to Succeed in Business (Lowry), Evita (Lowry), Ghost Nottingham, 9 to 5 (Mcr Opera House), NYMT West Side Story (Victoria Warehouse Mcr)
SEPTEMBER:  Blood Brothers (Lowry), Cabaret (Mcr Opera House), Ghost Bristol x2, Nina Conti (Lowry), Ghost Milton Keynes x4, Chicago (Oldham Coliseum), Once London
OCTOBER: Ghost Glasgow x3, The Illusionists (Mcr Apollo), Wicked (Mcr Palace), Rocky Horror (Wolverhampton), Stephen K Amoss (Lowry)
NOVEMBER: Ghost Southampton x2, Ghost is Dancing (Mayflower),Ghost Woking, Cabaret Fandangles (Kings Arms), War Horse (Lowry), Rent (Mcr Palace), Ghost Sunderland x2
DECEMBER: Ghost Birmingham x3

#543 ptwest

ptwest

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

Was at yesterdays matinee and loved it. I thought the cast were outstanding, particularly Gavin Creel, Stephen Ashfield and Alexia Khadime (A real suprise as I really didnt enjoy her as Elphaba) . I am not sure if I would go back, partly because I dont think I would want to see any other cast as they were so good, but also because the element of suprise really helped with my enjoyment. I have rarely seen such an instant standing ovation as there was for this, richly deserved. For once I would say believe the hype.

#544 spendleb

spendleb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Wow wow wow, went last night and it has to be the best show i have seen in the west end, it's hysterically funny, my face was aching by the end, as others have said, the cast are amazing, especially the guy playing Arnold, impeccable comic timing, plus Alexia was a revelation as i also disliked her Elphaba!     You have too see this, i just wish i could go again!   Also has to be the best audience reaction i have witnessed, standing ovation, it deserves to win every award going.

#545 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

Saw it tonight and loved it. :)

Pretty far back and to the side (Row G in the Circle, three seats from the far left) but didn't miss anything as far as I could tell. Great seat for the £27.50 I paid for it back in September (goodness, that booking ahead seems smart now, lol). I'd be surprised if there are any bad seats in the theatre, apart from maybe the upper boxes (but they have comfy plush armchairs, so I don't pity them).

I'd stayed as far away from any spoilers as I could (except for watching "I Believe" performed once at the Tonys, I think), so almost everything was absolutely and completely new to me. And it was awesome. <3

Alexia Khadime (Nabulungi) was my favourite amidst stiff competition. Her acting, charisma, singing, interpretation - everything was spot on. And while I was grinning throughout the entire musical, she was the one that sent literal chills down my spine with her reprise of "Hasa Diga Eebowai". [And "Salt Lake City" was gorgeous too.]  I completely and utterly loved her.

I also really liked Stephen Ashfield (Elder McKinley) - he was charming and had good dance moves. And I adored the women of the ensemble - they were fantastic. Oh, and of course I also loved both Gavin Creel as Elder Price and Jared Gertner as Elder Cunningham. They were great.

Okay, fine, I loved everyone. xD I didn't see or hear any false notes in the cast or performances. It was lovely. (Except for that one violent moment that I should have seen coming but still nearly jumped out of my skin. Eek.)

Everyone in the theatre seemed very excited and wholly satisfied. I've never seen a theatre audience so uniformly delighted. Afterwards was a little like the Olympics, with everyone smiling at each other in the middle of London - uncanny.

Oddly (given the buzz in the room) the audience divided on the standing ovation - I'd say maybe a third of the people stood in the circle (couldn't see anything but the front rows of the stalls). This might be because we'd just cracked up so hard at a moment in the final number and brought it to a standstill until the actor had to wave at us to get us to shut up. xD I think that release of excitement may have kept us from being propelled to our feet immediately like ptwest's audience. As it was, everyone was still clapping very enthusiastically though.

A delightful evening and a great deal of fun. We let out at exactly 10, if anyone cares about that (it felt like an hour rather than two and a half, though, we were having so much fun). Oh, and I promised myself I'd remember to mention this, nicest ushers ever. Just really sweet and smiley and each and every one looking like they were having a blast being there. Started the evening off on a high point that never really descended.

Definitely one to see if you can get a ticket. :)

ETA: I should add that parts of the plot did make me wince. I have a sister working in Uganda right now, and the way the villagers were portrayed (particularly in the beginning) wasn't really funny to me, although the rest of the audience was enjoying it. The bit at the end (vague to avoid spoilers, but the bit about metaphors) helped, but still, the humour did cross the line a few times for me personally.

#546 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

It's interval and I can only quote [title of show]: This show f*cking rocks!

Alexia's accent is really cute...
"Some People are Worth Melting For." - Olaf, Snowman

#547 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1276 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

So it sounds like people are liking it..,,, !

#548 timbo

timbo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

I saw this last night and have to say it is my new "favourite show in the West End. Loved it.

#549 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

Tonight I finally get to see what all the fuss is about!
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#550 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

On train back now, great to see something that really lives up to the hype! Excellent all round, the show, the cast, the audience reaction and the front of house staff. Had the biggest grin on my face throughout and am in such a good mood, the perfect pick-me-up.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

Also tagged with Prince of Wales Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users