#631 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

View PostKathryn2, on 22 March 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

I listened to the OBC recording on spotify the other day and was slightly underwhelmed - either it's much, much funnier live or I'm one of those people who just don't get the humour. So I'm definitely not going to be forking out £75 for a ticket - will wait for discounts and keep trying for the lottery when I'm in town on a saturday, I think.

I felt the same at the cast recording, out of context it wasnt that funny, and as there is a lot of dialogue its hard to piece together.
However I enjoyed the show a lot (paid £50 front stalls preview price - more than I pay for most things) and can now listen to the recording with more enjoyment.
I would not have bought a ticket for £70+ based on the recording either, but then I wont based on my utter enjoyment of the show its just too much.

#632 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

The top priced tickets will sell but the premium priced tickets are far too high but I imagine people will pay it, The PoW is a similar capacity to the Eugene O'Neill on Broadway so they'll probably be able to sell out for a year or so.

#633 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

I think this will do well with the american tourist market, like wicked did, as it will be easier to get tickets (amd cheaper even at premium) than in nyc

#634 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostKathryn2, on 22 March 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

I listened to the OBC recording on spotify the other day and was slightly underwhelmed - either it's much, much funnier live or I'm one of those people who just don't get the humour.

This is why I never listen to cast recording or YouTube clips before seeing a new show! What's the fun in already knowing the score? And of course you need context to most musical theatre songs to completely understand them! I'm glad I stayed away from BoM until seeing it (only song I knew or had heard was 'I Believe' and boy I'm glad I did! I adore the cast album much more than if I'd listened to it before hand!
So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

#635 bobbynuts

bobbynuts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

View PostMark_21, on 22 March 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

This is why I never listen to cast recording or YouTube clips before seeing a new show! What's the fun in already knowing the score? And of course you need context to most musical theatre songs to completely understand them! I'm glad I stayed away from BoM until seeing it (only song I knew or had heard was 'I Believe' and boy I'm glad I did! I adore the cast album much more than if I'd listened to it before hand!

Totally agree. Silly to listen to recordings which have no atmosphere of the live show.

#636 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

If i didnt listen to cast recordings i doubt id have into theatre at all, and certainly wouldnt have seen some shows if it werent for their recordings! So its not 'silly' at all

#637 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

Agreed. If I hadn't heard the music to BOM beforehand I wouldn't have been so keen to see it. Each to their own.

#638 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

Depends if you prefer to see a completely show, taking the risk whether it will be good or bad and being surprised with the music again whether it'll be good or bad!

Personally I see pretty much all new musicals in the westend regardless of whether I think I'd like it or not because you can't get a feel for a show with the cast recording!? I'd rather make my decision live! But each to their own!
So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

#639 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

If youre in the lucky position to be able to see every show then  great, but to judge people 'silly' who have to make more informed decisions is judgemental and disrespectful. I couldnt afford to see every show, certainly on broadway too. It was first hearing the title song to phantom that got me interested in hearing more, i then bought the tapes and from there was intranced by the show as a whole. This lead to.listening to more alw, then b&s and then finally seeing the shows. And over the years theres been loads of cds ive heard because you never know if or when you may actually see the show.

Not liking a cast recording wouldnt put me off seeing a show completely as theres been times when i didnt like the cd but liked the show (and visa versa! ) but if i were on the fence anway it may sway me.

#640 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

Scroll up mate.... I think you'll find it wasn't me who called you 'Silly'

Also tagged with Prince of Wales Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users