1056 replies to this topic

#641 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3378 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

I never said it was, and i never took the silly comment to be at me as i hadnt posted at that point. Im merely, using my personal experience, showing why people might listen to cast recordings

#642 Montmartre

Montmartre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Classical Music

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

I see Quentin Letts gave it only 1 star.

#643 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1223 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

View PostMontmartre, on 22 March 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

Got to be worth seeing then!!!

#644 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

View PostMark_21, on 22 March 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

This is why I never listen to cast recording or YouTube clips before seeing a new show! What's the fun in already knowing the score? And of course you need context to most musical theatre songs to completely understand them! I'm glad I stayed away from BoM until seeing it (only song I knew or had heard was 'I Believe' and boy I'm glad I did! I adore the cast album much more than if I'd listened to it before hand!

It's not strange, really - for all but brand new musicals, most people will actually know some of the songs before they see the show, from promotion on TV, from them being released as singles/concept albums, from charity galas, from awards shows, etc. Liking a few of the songs is one of the major reasons that people will go and see a show.

In fact, I've found before that if I'm not familiar with the score - at least a little - that I can't properly get into a show. I came out of Wicked completely underwhelmed by the score, and only started appreciating the music after hearing some of the songs done on Glee. So now I like to go into a show having heard at least a few bits of it.

#645 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:02 AM

I think, if a score is funny, it is often better to leave it till you see it live. I haven't listened to the BoM score for months, purely so I partially forget the gags and so on. Going to Broadway week after and haven't listened to any of the scores since I booked tickets. But I agree, having a slight familiarity with the score often makes it more enjoyable.

The reviews are interesting. I think this show is inherently going to have it's haters, it isn't typical musical theatre fare, and caters for a different market. But as Avenue Q showed, the younger edgier occasional theatre goer will love it. I also think there are is a bit of "Amazing reviews in the US, 3 productions already running, everyone seems to love it... better be controversial and say it's a bit rubbish". Hype like this has always creates 3 star reviews.

#646 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

For my money it's massively over rated. Yes it's fun and reasonably clever and I think it's a good score, but it's not a patch on The Producers. That was a genuinely laugh out loud show, cleverly scripted and not relying on foul language for a quick laugh.

As a musical for people who don't like musicals , this is great, but it's really a modern day example of fabulous advertising and promotion over content IMO.

#647 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

View PostMark_21, on 22 March 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

Depends if you prefer to see a completely show, taking the risk whether it will be good or bad and being surprised with the music again whether it'll be good or bad!

Personally I see pretty much all new musicals in the westend regardless of whether I think I'd like it or not because you can't get a feel for a show with the cast recording!? I'd rather make my decision live! But each to their own!
I'm afraid I can't afford ti take a risk. I don't gamble with 50 plus quid. I like listening to the music before I see a show. It helps me enjoy it more.

#648 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

but it's not a patch on The Producers. That was a genuinely laugh out loud show, cleverly scripted and not relying on foul language for a quick laugh.

No, it relied on jokes about Hitler, the Nazis and irritating stereotypes of gays. I found The Producers to be very overrated, personally.

As a musical for people who don't like musicals , this is great,

So many of the songs are pastiches of other big musical numbers that you can't really consider it as such.

#649 ptwest

ptwest

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

View PostMontmartre, on 22 March 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

Can't really imagine the Daily Mail target audience enjoying this. But plenty to tut at and be outraged by.

#650 greeny11

greeny11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

Apparently the show took in over £2,000,000 in ticket sales yesterday - a new West End/Broadway record.

Also tagged with Prince of Wales Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users