1056 replies to this topic

#651 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1296 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

Blimey... And that's with mixed reviews. Pretty astonishing.

#652 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1251 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

Mixed reviews here - i don't think anyone who went on Friday is going to be unaware that it was a huge hit on broadway. The advertising has been relentless for months, with a big social media push.

#653 alec_e10

alec_e10

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

I think we all knew it would get mixed reviews - 1 star from the Daily Mail, should we expect anything less from that pile of old tosh!
I doubt whether the producers are bothered as it is being so cleverly marketed that its a sure fire hit for quite a while.

Do those of you who are old enough (like me) remember the reviews for Les Mis. They were dire and its still going.

I saw BOM in preview, totally loved it so and going to book again.

#654 bobbynuts

bobbynuts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

at the end of the day, reviews for a show like BOM mean bugger all. fans will keep it going for a long time.

#655 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

I think perhaps the publicity has been so OTT that a lot of people are almost determined not to like it!  Critics especially.

I really didn't expect it to live up to its hype, but I had a thoroughly good time & was full of admiration for the entire production. The continued relentless marketing seems unnecessary to me though, if advance sales (at those prices) are so good.

Now we've had press night maybe it will all calm down a bit.

#656 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

I think the publicity was a result of opening at the same time as Once and a couple of months before Charlie. I have been told that producers didnt want to touch this spring/summer with anything attempting a long run due to the inevitable pulling power of Charlie, hence two houses being free for US imports.

Mormon's producers saw it would be congested and thought best to over-publicise than get lost in the mix.

I think Once's publicity works off of this too. They know they can't out bombast a loud, offensive, brash Mormon, so they are under playing it, being the underdog. And reviewers do so love an underdog.

#657 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Earlier this month the BBC showed a special called "Culture Show: The Mormons Are Coming" and I didn't have a chance to catch it on iPlayer before it disappeared... Does anyone know if it may air again or if I can watch it elsewhere? Thanks!

#658 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

If youre expecting a lot of mormon talk or clips i wouldnt worry. It shows 5-10 mins on the show, the rest is a bout south park and theor background. I enjoyed it but i know it disappointed some who were expecting more info on the show itself

#659 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

I heard that before but I just saw a gif that showed rehearsals of the West End show and it had a BBC logo on it so I assumed it to be from this special which is why I'd like to see it.

#660 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

It's on YouTube titled "BBC The Culture Show 2013 The Mormons are Here"

Also tagged with Prince of Wales Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users