canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

View PostFireFingers, on 26 March 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

Gavin off tonight as well.

He has laryngitis and is supposedly back on tomorrow night.

#672 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

Ah poor Gavin, hope he gets better soon, anyone know if he has extended his contract? i was sure i hard he had only signed for six months but i think he may be staying longer now. anyone know?

#673 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

I have to say Ashley Day is incredible in the role, i didnt know he had it in him. I always thought Gavin was too old for the part, i hope Ashley gets the chance to be full time lead when Gavin leaves

#674 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:28 AM

Anyone go last night? Was Gavin back on?

#675 greeny11

greeny11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

Ashley tweeted yesterday he was on for both shows

#676 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

Not seen Gavin but I thought Ashley was excellent last night.  Looked and sounded the part perfectly.  Wasn't dissapointed to be seeing an understudy.

#677 JD094

JD094

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

Ashley is on again today too. Poor Gavin :(
WEST END SHOWS:
2009: The Sound of Music - Oliver!
2010: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables
2011: Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical
2012: Ghost the Musical - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Shrek the Musical - Wicked
2013: Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Matilda - The Phantom of the Opera - Viva Forever! - Wicked
2014: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Once - The Phantom of the Opera - Wicked

#678 lesterf

lesterf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

Ashley was fantastic when I saw the show last night.He does a few things differently from Gavin but he does certainly look more the part of a 19 year old.Both his acting and vocals were faultless in my opinion.

#679 Princeton

Princeton

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

When Sonia Freidman explained why that were bringing over Gavin Creel and Jared Gartner, and not using UK actors she said "it became clear early on during the audition process on London that we needed the real thing".  Am therefore assuming that this week she's either eating her words or standing in the foyer offering refunds!

Obviously not - as having seen both Gavin and Ashley Day - there's not much to call between them although they play the part differently - certainly wouldn't consider one the real thing and one not.

Why do producers feel the need to say such ridiculous things in order to justify decisions?  I'm sure that she always wanted a long run and therefore a recast - presumably with local actors. Given that the prices are going up and up this means she expects people to pay more for not seeing the real thing!!  

An apology to British actors including the majority of the current cast might be in order.  How about it Sonia?

#680 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

Well Gavin is hardly the real thing as he is way to old for the part technically. I have to admit i didnt think there would be a uk performer that could do it but ashley nails it! I really hope mark evans doesnt return to take over from gavin as ashley has given the best understudy performance ive seen in years

Also tagged with Prince of Wales Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users