1061 replies to this topic

#781 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

I agree the prices are high, but people are willing to pay them - and they have got a reduced number of tickets at £20 on the day. I'm hoping the hype dies down just a little at some point so I can't at least get some day seats, but I don't see the hype going anywhere for at least a year.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#782 greeny11

greeny11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

I got the chance to see Daniel Buckley's Cunningham today - very different from Jared, but still excellent.  He's less over the top than Jared, and a bit more innocent/naive.  His acting was great, and his singing was brilliant - I loved his Man Up.

Lots of people off today - we had 6 of the 8 swings on (Evan for Mark, Ben for Dan M, Matt for Michael, Lucy for Candace, Thomas for Terel and Oliver for Tosh who was on as the General).

#783 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Saw this on Broadway last year when I won tickets in the lottery and although I enjoyed it I was underwhelmed after hearing all the hype.  Saw it in London yesterday and once again enjoyed it a lot but still a little confused as to why people say it is amazing and the best thing they have ever seen.  The cast were generally great but was surprised how much Gavin Creel struggled on the high notes during I Believe.  Daniel  Buckley acted Cunningham well.  His voice was pretty good but a bit quiet at times - I wasn't as convinced as the above poster about his Man Up though - was more energetic on Broadway.  Alexia sang excellently and I liked Stephen Ashfield's over the top campness as did the rest of the audience.  Overall, a good show and some really great performances but still not the best show I've seen by quite a way.

#784 greeny11

greeny11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

All I had to compare it to was Jared's - I'd say Dan's was slightly more energetic, but both do a great job with the number.  Did you see the evening or matinee show?

#785 tommo2k

tommo2k

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

View Postgreeny11, on 30 May 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

All I had to compare it to was Jared's - I'd say Dan's was slightly more energetic, but both do a great job with the number.  Did you see the evening or matinee show?

matinee

#786 SimonAitken

SimonAitken

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Just booked for September 3rd for this and the 4th of September for Matilda! Row B for Mormon!

Anyone know good, cheap hotels near enough to both Prince of Wales and the Cambridge?

#787 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

http://www.travelstay.com/ and http://www.hotels.com/ are always good starting points for me.

#788 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

Ashley Day on as Price tonight, and probably the best and most accomplished understudy performance I've seen in the West End.  I would never have known he wasn't the usual lead.  

Super show, really enjoyable, and touching too.  Loved that hyperactive choreography.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#789 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:55 AM

agreed, i saw him a few months back and his performance realky blew me away. best understudy ive seen in years. he deserves it full time when gavin leaves

#790 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:02 AM

View PostTitan, on 04 June 2013 - 04:55 AM, said:

agreed, i saw him a few months back and his performance realky blew me away. best understudy ive seen in years. he deserves it full time when gavin leaves

Haven't seen Ashley (yet, hopefully) but isn't Mark Evans supposed to take over Elder Price in London once Gavin leaves?
"If you want to get the girl of your dreams, all you gotta do is change your personality beyond recognition and wear lots of tight leather apparel." - Rydell High School, School Motto.

Also tagged with Prince of Wales Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users