• Please log in to reply
1056 replies to this topic

#851 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

View PostJD094, on 18 July 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

I was there yesterday matinee too and it was amazing. David did very well. Stand-out performers definitely Stephen and Alexia but you can tell Gavin Creel just fits the show and Price like a glove.

I agree re: Stephen and Alexia! It's performances like theirs that make me really annoyed that the Olivier Awards refuse to separate 'supporting performers' in musicals into best actor and best actress because they'd both deserve it!
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#852 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostJaszyR91, on 18 July 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

I agree re: Stephen and Alexia! It's performances like theirs that make me really annoyed that the Olivier Awards refuse to separate 'supporting performers' in musicals into best actor and best actress because they'd both deserve it!

I really hope Stephen wins an award for his McKinley as it makes the show for me

#853 BAGibb

BAGibb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

View Postmrtheatre123, on 17 July 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

Am seeing this next Tuesday, anyone know if there will be any understudies on apart from Dan Buckley?

Well there'll be swing coverage for Patrick George's track for the next few weeks I guess as he appears to have just broken something in his leg/foot.

#854 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

Oh no! Hope he gets better soon!

#855 Lady Nijo

Lady Nijo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

I agree re; Stephen. He gets my vote for supporting actor Olivier. Such detailed work from him. Couldn't keep my eyes off him and want to go back for more (saw it a while ago now). Lottery, here I come.

#856 Joysie

Joysie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

Saw this for the second time on Saturday and absolutely loved it. I was anxious that I wouldn't enjoy it as much or find it as stomach achingly hilarious as I did the first time I saw it now knowing what was coming but once again I left with my cheeks aching from the huge grin that had been glued to my face for the previous 2 hours.

What it left me with this time was a genuine appreciation of what a brilliant musical it is even when you strip away all the crude jokes and everything that brings the shock reaction from the audience. The story is incredibly heartening and the musical numbers are just so incredibly catchy. I don't think there is one number I can say I dislike or zone out for as is usually the case with most musicals I see. 2 days later they are still going round in a loop in my head and I can't wait to go again! Really hope it gets the recognition it deserves when awards season comes round!

#857 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

Been waiting to see this for so long and moaning about the price of tickets in many previous posts. Happened to be walking by on Wedneday when the lottery for the matinee was going on so put our names in. The guy told us we had a good chance as there was a lot less people than there usually is. Ended up winning so was really really excited. £20 for the front row is such a bargain and I didn't mind being on the front here, other theatres feels like you are looking up at the stage but didn't get that feeling here.

Thought the show was incredible, absolutely everything I expected and more! I know the music well but a lot of it made much more sense in context. Cast were brilliant, Dan Buckley was on but thought he was great. Gavin was excellent as I expected as was Stephen Ashfield. Not seen Alex Khadime before, what a voice! Whole cast were brilliant actually. I will rush back to see the show, but only if I can get a seat through the lottery.

I want to tell everyone I know to go, it really is such a superb show

#858 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

Glad you managed to get a lottery ticket! I've given up on then, but I've seen the show anyway (free tickets during previews via Facebook). I can't imagine hearing the cast recording before seeing the show - I'm sure it's a 'what the hell is this?' Kind of moment!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#859 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:22 PM

Haha you should try again, you never know! Guess I was lucky (which is unusual!!). Yeah I did really like it but much more sense in context and now listening to the cd again is like a whole new experience!

#860 Stage Hand

Stage Hand

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

What's the lottery line like these days is it starting to dwindle?

Also tagged with Prince of Wales Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users