#11 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

View PostGhostmusicalfan, on 06 March 2012 - 02:03 AM, said:

<br />Easy choice for me, I'd see Ghost and One Man,2 Guvnors.  Both will have you in tears in very different ways!<br />

We've seen One Man Two Guvnors at The National. I think I'd rather see shows that we can't see in London.

So far Memphis and Anything Goes are appealing to me.

#12 vickster51

vickster51

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

I'm off in May to New York with friends and although they won't want to see as much theatre as me hopefully we'll all go and see something together. I have already booked a ticket for me to see the comedy Don't Dress For Dinner, as it stars one of my favourite actors Adam James.

#13 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

It might be worth signing up for hiptix.com, for anyone under-35 heading to New York. They do mezzanine tickets for around the $20-30 mark, by the looks of it, which is a pretty good discount!

#14 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

View PostKathryn2, on 08 March 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

So far Memphis and Anything Goes are appealing to me.

The only Broadway shows I've seen, but both were utterly brilliant and great to see on the Great White Way.

Hope you enjoy your trip!!
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#15 Forget-Me-Not

Forget-Me-Not

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

I'm just back from a week in NYC and I managed to fit in 10 shows. Apart from 1 Man, 2 Guvnors the highlights were Peter & the Starcatcher, Once and Nice Work If You Can Get It.

I wanted to see how 1M2G went over with New York audiences (answer: a storm!) but if you've only got limited slots I'd recommend one of the other 3 as they are unlikely to transfer to the West End any time soon, if at all.

Peter & The Starcatcher is directed by Roger Rees and is somewhat reminiscent of Nicholas Nickleby in its staging. It features Christian Borle (from Smash) as Black Stache in a wonderfully, hilariously OTT performance. I found it magical, charming, touching, funny and very different from anything else you'll see on Broadway at the moment.

Once is another charming piece of theatre. It's set is a Dublin pub interior and it tells the story of Boy (Irish) meets Girl (Czech). I loved the score and bought the cast recording as soon as the show ended. If you go, get there early enough to go onstage - the pub set serves as an actual bar and members of the cast (playing various musical instruments) mingle with the 'patrons' before the show.

Nice Work is a qunitessentially Broadway show by the same team behind Anything Goes. Kelli O'Hara is superb, as are Judy Kaye & Michael McGrath in supporting roles. Matthew Broderick pretty much plays himself but he does so with a twinkle in his eye and actually sings & dances better than I was expecting. Lavish sets, lots of laughs and a fun night at the theatre.

Hope this is of some help. Enjoy your trip!

#16 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:43 AM

I saw Newsies, Evita and The Book of Mormon when I was in NY two weeks ago, my favourite was Newsies, the show has a strong cast and the dancing is just amazing, I would reccomend it although it is selling quite well so either book in advance or try for the lottery.

#17 vickster51

vickster51

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

Thanks for all the tips!

#18 vickster51

vickster51

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:51 PM

Returned from a short trip to NYC. I saw Don't Dress For Dinner and Other Desert Cities. I enjoyed both very much. Must get to Broadway more often!

#19 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:01 AM

I'm on the wifi in my NY hotel. So far we have seen Porgy and Bess saturday night and Jesus Christ Superstar tonight. We tried for Death of a Salesman rush tickets this morning, but despite arriving well before 8am were not early enough. If anyone wants to try it I'd suggest getting to there by 6am if at all possible.

I'm actually really glad to have seen Jesus Christ Superstar - thanks in part to the guy handing out 1man 2 Guvnors flyers to the TKTS queue, whose rave about it finally convinced my friends. I'd been trying to persuade them to go see it for ages. Two out of three of them really enjoyed it, the other one just wasn't blown away, despite saying it was all very well done. I responded similarly to Porgy and Bess - it was a fantastic cast, an interesting show, and very well done production, but I just didn't connect to it.

We're seeing Anything Goes tomorrow night, so hopefully we will all enjoy that!

#20 gazzaw13

gazzaw13

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

Just back from New York.  Decided to see some plays rather than musicals this time:

Venus in Fur - short, fun, but not as clever as it thinks it is.  Great performance from Nina Arianda

The Best Man - clunky, old fashioned but worth seeing for James Earl Jones and Angela Lansbury.  Unlikley ever to see the two of them together.  Lavish sets and theatre dressing.

Other Desert Cities - outstanding with excellent performances, a stunning set and absorbing story.  The most emotionally charged family drama I've seen since Festen.  This show is heavily discounted at the moment and well worth seeing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users