• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 an american in london

an american in london

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:45 AM

Hello there and thanks for checking out my post.

I'm an American theatre student who is studying in this great city called London for the next few months.
I've seen some fantastic work here so far and am looking forward to taking it all in -- from the Globe to the West End to the Fringe circuit.  I want to see it all -- how fantastic to be in such a vibrant theatre capital.  It is certainly inspiring.  

Being abroad, the one thing I'm missing here is a communion with other theatre practicioners, artists, and creators.

My question is:  
Apart from rehearsal halls and onstage, where do all the artists go?
What pubs do the actors hang out in?  Where do the playwrights and the directors go on their off-days to discuss their ideas?  Where do the producers go to talk funding and money?   Where are the local haunts frequented by artists?  Or even, what area of London?

But is there such a place?  The tourism thing has gotten stale really quickly.  I suppose I'm envisioning some kind of romantic, fictionalized  Greenwich Village bar circa-1960 where I can wander in and be  surrounded by Andy Warhol or Allen Ginsberg or something.  I know  that's not going to happen, but I'd love to meet some cool cats anyway.  

I'd love to chat with some other young (or old) professionals about plays they've read, or shows they've seen, or new projects they are working on.  There's such a great creative buzz here that I feel like I've gotta meet some theatre folks or I'll keel over.

Thanks for reading my rant....

S.

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:25 AM

Joe Allen's (restaurant in Covent Garden) tends to be the main theatrical hang out for dinner and drinks after shows. Also - check out the pubs next to/across from the theatres for actors and production members having drinks e.g. Spice of Life for Spamalot at the Palace Theatre. Apart from that - Pineapple Dance Studios and Danceworks for dance orientated conversations (also MT) and the Actors Centre off Leicester Square has a green room (members only though). The bar below the Blood Brothers theatre (Phoenix) is also a popular hand out joint.

#3 Red Momma

Red Momma

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Musical Theatre, my garden and my large family.
    I also enjoy travelling

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:32 PM

Try The Conservatory under Centre Point at the junction of Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE(Red Momma @ Sep 23 2008, 12:32 PM) View Post
Try The Conservatory under Centre Point at the junction of Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road

The Conservatory hasn't been around for a while. It's now the Intrepid Fox - a goth/metal pub. Even when it was around, it attracted more posers than actual artists.

To answer the original question, there really isn't the sort of scene you're thinking of. Actors go out for a drink at whatever pub is near the theatre.

There are the various members clubs including Groucho, Soho House, etc. Again, it's about 95% posers/meeja-types, but you do get quite a few famous actors, writers, directors, etc. But you really shouldn't approach people you don't know. Most are friendly enough, but they come there either to work or to relax, not to be hassled.

#5 Red Momma

Red Momma

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Musical Theatre, my garden and my large family.
    I also enjoy travelling

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 23 2008, 01:48 PM) View Post
The Conservatory hasn't been around for a while. It's now the Intrepid Fox - a goth/metal pub.

Shame!  I had some great evenings in the old Conservatory.

#6 abalafae

abalafae

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:22 PM

most that i know tend to come home and crawl under the duvet!
We taught the world new ways to dream.

#7 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:19 AM

the bar at the new players theatre...
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#8 rainbow_carnage

rainbow_carnage

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE(Haz @ Sep 24 2008, 09:19 AM) View Post
the bar at the new players theatre...

That's really gone downhill since the refurb. It used to be such a lovely dump. Cheap drinks. Open til 3. A few actors. Some musicians.

Then they repainted the place, brought in that terrible pianist...

It hasn't been the same since.

#9 Guest_an american in london_*

Guest_an american in london_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 15 2008, 09:25 AM) View Post
Joe Allen's (restaurant in Covent Garden) tends to be the main theatrical hang out for dinner and drinks after shows. Also - check out the pubs next to/across from the theatres for actors and production members having drinks e.g. Spice of Life for Spamalot at the Palace Theatre. Apart from that - Pineapple Dance Studios and Danceworks for dance orientated conversations (also MT) and the Actors Centre off Leicester Square has a green room (members only though). The bar below the Blood Brothers theatre (Phoenix) is also a popular hand out joint.

Thank you for all of the advice.  I actually checked out the Phoenix Artist's Club and thought it was great.  It had a good atmosphere and I ended up chatting with some really nice other young professionals like myself -- it was a great fit.  Thanks for taking the time to reply...I hope to check out some of the other places you list while I'm here, too.

#10 Guest_an american in london_*

Guest_an american in london_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 23 2008, 12:48 PM) View Post
The Conservatory hasn't been around for a while. It's now the Intrepid Fox - a goth/metal pub. Even when it was around, it attracted more posers than actual artists.

To answer the original question, there really isn't the sort of scene you're thinking of. Actors go out for a drink at whatever pub is near the theatre.

There are the various members clubs including Groucho, Soho House, etc. Again, it's about 95% posers/meeja-types, but you do get quite a few famous actors, writers, directors, etc. But you really shouldn't approach people you don't know. Most are friendly enough, but they come there either to work or to relax, not to be hassled.

Thanks for the reply to my (original) post.  I'm not sure what a meeja type is, but I think I understand what you're saying.  And I wasn't wanting to hassle or bother anyone at all.  I'm not into celebrity watching and I'd wouldn't dream of approaching a stranger, no matter how famous -- that would just be tacky.  However, being in a foreign country alone can be a bit daunting.  Particularly when I am used to be apart of a very close-knit community.  

I was just hoping to connect with some other displaced young artists in the city.  Actually, when I went to the Phoenix Artist's Club, I was approached by some other lone people at the bar and ending up having some great conversations about Edinburgh and the like.  I guess that's what I'm searching for -- just a discourse about theatre and people who are passionate about what they do -- or even passionate theatre-goers, for that matter!  It's the after-show discussions and the brainstorming sessions of ideas that I suppose is what I feel is missing.  It's so strange to see such incredible theater here, but then not have anyone to chat to about it with, since part of the joy of seeing plays is the communal/shared nature of the experience.

Anyway, sorry for probably way too long and too personal of a response!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users