• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#11 eliza doolots

eliza doolots

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:35 PM

In my meagre experience, actors working in the west end tend to go straight home after the show. You're more likely to see them in after shows in pubs near theatres when on tour or working in rep theatres away from their home base. Stephii  

QUOTE(an american in london @ Sep 25 2008, 12:13 PM) View Post
Thanks for the reply to my (original) post. I'm not sure what a meeja type is, but I think I understand what you're saying. And I wasn't wanting to hassle or bother anyone at all. I'm not into celebrity watching and I'd wouldn't dream of approaching a stranger, no matter how famous -- that would just be tacky. However, being in a foreign country alone can be a bit daunting. Particularly when I am used to be apart of a very close-knit community.

I was just hoping to connect with some other displaced young artists in the city. Actually, when I went to the Phoenix Artist's Club, I was approached by some other lone people at the bar and ending up having some great conversations about Edinburgh and the like. I guess that's what I'm searching for -- just a discourse about theatre and people who are passionate about what they do -- or even passionate theatre-goers, for that matter! It's the after-show discussions and the brainstorming sessions of ideas that I suppose is what I feel is missing. It's so strange to see such incredible theater here, but then not have anyone to chat to about it with, since part of the joy of seeing plays is the communal/shared nature of the experience.

Anyway, sorry for probably way too long and too personal of a response!

#12 abalafae

abalafae

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE(an american in london @ Sep 25 2008, 01:13 PM) View Post
I was just hoping to connect with some other displaced young artists in the city. Actually, when I went to the Phoenix Artist's Club, I was approached by some other lone people at the bar and ending up having some great conversations about Edinburgh and the like. I guess that's what I'm searching for -- just a discourse about theatre and people who are passionate about what they do -- or even passionate theatre-goers, for that matter! It's the after-show discussions and the brainstorming sessions of ideas that I suppose is what I feel is missing. It's so strange to see such incredible theater here, but then not have anyone to chat to about it with, since part of the joy of seeing plays is the communal/shared nature of the experience.

Well as a fello9w young artist in London, I'm normally in the theatre or cafe nero on Haymarket!
We taught the world new ways to dream.

#13 Guest_Big D_*

Guest_Big D_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:28 PM

I was taken to the Acts and Actors Club opposite the Actors Church in Covent Garden one night and there were lots of west end faces in there.

QUOTE(an american in london @ Sep 25 2008, 12:13 PM) View Post
Thanks for the reply to my (original) post.  I'm not sure what a meeja type is, but I think I understand what you're saying.  And I wasn't wanting to hassle or bother anyone at all.  I'm not into celebrity watching and I'd wouldn't dream of approaching a stranger, no matter how famous -- that would just be tacky.  However, being in a foreign country alone can be a bit daunting.  Particularly when I am used to be apart of a very close-knit community.  

I was just hoping to connect with some other displaced young artists in the city.  Actually, when I went to the Phoenix Artist's Club, I was approached by some other lone people at the bar and ending up having some great conversations about Edinburgh and the like.  I guess that's what I'm searching for -- just a discourse about theatre and people who are passionate about what they do -- or even passionate theatre-goers, for that matter!  It's the after-show discussions and the brainstorming sessions of ideas that I suppose is what I feel is missing.  It's so strange to see such incredible theater here, but then not have anyone to chat to about it with, since part of the joy of seeing plays is the communal/shared nature of the experience.

#14 iv2jrm

iv2jrm

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:19 PM

I see it has not been mentioned but Shunt is a good place to 'hang-out'.

#15 dory

dory

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:theatre, films, music, tv and reading.

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:21 AM

which ever pub is close to the theatre is what i have discovered after 3 years in the industry.

#16 meerkat

meerkat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:26 AM

If you go to a performance in one of the theatres with pubs attatched-  some of the the cast  and creatives invariably "hang out" between the matinee and evening performances and afterwards e.g
Kings Head Islington, Landor theatre Clapham, Theatre 503, Battersea.

If you go to the Kings Head I can recommend Showstopper- the Improvised musical if its still on- clever and hilarious.
I know I could be a lion tamer,
I've always gotten along with cats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users