72 replies to this topic

#21 El Peter

El Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

"Casting now announced for this - no big names, which makes the three month run look even more ambitious.."

I don't think that it needs big names. Who were any of the people listed here when the play was staged in 2010 at the Royal Court?:

http://www.londonthe...posh3335621.htm

Some may be better known two years on although only a couple of names look vaguely like ones I've seen before and I may even be imagining that.

It is a good play and the stage gets crowded on occasion, for it is more of an ensemble piece than something in which an individual can easily stand out. (It is not like Julian Mitchell's 'Another Country' which I saw in London and featured a young Daniel Day Lewis, and Kenneth Branagh just out of Rada, both being charismatic and excellent in performance, even allowing for other cast members.) 'Posh' is much busier and more crowded on stage than that play.

If it is done reasonably well, then I can see its three month run doing pretty well at the box office. I will not be seeing it next time out but would like to see a film version that was being talked of back in 2010.

#22 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

Saw this last night - 2nd preview, 10 pound 2nd row day seat which had a somewhat restricted view because of the strangely configured (and elevated) stage.

It felt like something ripped from the front page of the Guardian, a lacerating portrait of the Cameron/Osborne crowd, who they are and where they came from. It's a very angry piece and while I entirely sympathize with playwright Laura Wade's contempt for the class system and the nasty bunch it spawns in this country it did feel at times like less would have been more. All the points are made and then made again.  The result is that it felt like a long evening - it WAS a long evening, about two hours, fifty minutes. It could be trimmed by half and hour, easily.

It's basically a one set play, a tacky-ish private dining room in a country inn, the kind of place the Posh boys can ridicule endlessly.  They're there (ten of them) for a club banquet which is expected to and does degenerate into mayhem.  Rich boys behaving badly.  It's all very smart and often very funny.  The ensemble cast is terrific to a man and Ms Wade's dialogue is often hilarious and never less than true.  When things get too didactic, there are musical interludes very reminiscent of Spring Awakening in which the boys suddenly become performers playing straight to the audience.  Everyone of these elicited a big round of applause and deserved to but they weren't exactly integrated into the play itself.

The 2nd act takes a sharp turn into something more serious and it does so quite successfully - one could feel the audience suddenly tensing, in a good way.  The excellent Leo Bill emerges as the most lethal and virulent of the Posh boys and briefly takes over the play.  It's a sensational performance.

A disturbing piece then if too long and a touch too strident. It seems to have undergone a rewrite since it played the Royal Court - there were references to the Greek financial crisis.  As I indicated above, it could hardly be more topical.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#23 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

What was the day queue like? Many people there?

#24 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

Not much of a queue - three people ahead of me on a Saturday morning.  Of course it had just opened the night before.  As I noted above, the day seats are not ideal due to the way the stage is set up - a high-ish stage plus a large dining table that partially cuts off those sitting on the other side of it and blocks a doorway.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#25 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

Really enjoyed this! Great performances all round, the change into a more serious tone works really well. It was about 2 hours 40 minutes.

Seemed pretty full and has attracted quite a young audience. Looked like someone was able to get a day seat by turning up half an hour before the matinee

Definitely worth seeing - some good offers for stalls seats at the moment.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#26 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

<p>

View PostJon, on 15 March 2012 - 02:22 AM, said:

Wonder if Constellations will transfer to the West End, odd that Posh got the transfer, Jumpy I expected as was a sellout at the Royal Court,
Confirmed for transfer after Jumpy, from November 9thhttp://royalcourttheatre.com/news/articles/constellations-to-transfer-to-the-duke-of-yorks-th/Wasn't Constellations really short?

#27 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

Sorry

http://royalcourtthe...ke-of-yorks-th/

#28 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

Yes, just over an hour. It was great but not sure how it will work in such a big theatre.

#29 pinkpigeon

pinkpigeon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

Saw this yesterday. It's really very good. I thought it would be too political for me but it wasn't really. The second half is much darker than the first but it works. I loved the musical interludes. Great fun yah

#30 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

Rave reviews generally for this.

Including from Heat Magazine - didn't know they had a theatre reviewer!

http://www.heatworld...Theatre-London/

You may have read our post earlier this week about this being the hottest ticket in town purely on the basis of its mega-fit cast, which includes 10 Torso poster worthy specimens of manhood. Well, we went along to the opening night of Posh last night, and can honestly say its one of the best   and the funniest plays weve ever seen!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users