#21 alec_e10

alec_e10

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

This might be a bit of a gem.
I remember seeing Betty Buckley in Sunset Boulevard many years ago and she is quite the Broadway legend

#22 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

Anyone go to this last night?

#23 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

I did.. Betty B is rather lovely in it... Though its odd to see someone of her stature in a tatty theatre and low rent production like this. Her two friends are fabulous in it. Rebecca Lock being one and the other lady I don't know but they are both a level above everyone else. For me that's where the good news ends . Paul Nicholas just wanders on as Paul Nicholas. The girl in it just has the same inane grin all the way through. Worst of all ate the 4 bad guys, not helped with the camp choreography they are given. To me that was the main problem, it's a rather charming odd piece but Gillian Lynne in her legwarmers has over choreographed it to death and neglected to direct it. Dancing is shoehorned in at every opportunity and it sucks all the charm out as it attempts to just be a tits and teeth musical.

Worth seeing for the performances of Betty, Rebecca and the lady I don't know though.
Was pretty empty ..

#24 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

Oops- are... Not ate!

#25 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Saw this last night. Very odd piece, but somehow charming in its strangeness. Buckley is a sensation. I almost wanted her to stop during her act one closing number and say "that's right. Almost 65 and I still got it".

Not sure who will go and see this though. It was nowhere near full. There's not been masses of publicity about it and I suspect the reviews won't be outright raves, mostly due to how random the show is as a whole.

Agree with the comments about Lynne, to a degree. There's a lot of choreography, but I found the camp trio fun, rather than grating. But when you've got Grizabella waltzing with Rum Tum Tugger and Grizabella seems to be dressed as Mr Mestopheles, it makes the Cats comparison more apt than you'd think.

#26 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

Well, I loved this - far more then I expected to.   Betty Buckley is indeed sensational.   When she  moved down to the footlights to sing the heartbreaking "And I Was Beautiful" with tears streaming down her face I was in musical theatre heaven.

The whole cast is terrific, especially the other two mad ladies, Rebecca Lock and Annabel Leventon.  The second act Tea Party Trio was a showstopper.  But the whole score is wonderful, as we've always known from the original cast recording.  The show's negative reputation stems from its muddled book but the book has been revised by David Thompson (The Scottsboro Boys, Steel Pier) and I thought it worked.  It's really a chamber musical and a production this size with a basic cast of principals, elegantly reduced orchestrations and two and a half smoothly changing sets shows it off perfectly.  I thought Gillian Lynne's direction and choreography were on the money in every respect, capturing the mood of the piece perfectly.

The audience was loudly enthusiastic - standing O for Ms Buckley - and the buzz in the lobby was entirely positive.  I think the reviews might be better than expected.  I hope so.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#27 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

Anyone know if they do day seats? Looking at the website there are plenty of tickets available so if I could pay a tenner or so I would otherwise ill just hold tight and pray it papers. I know I'm a terrible person, but I'm skint!

#28 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

We were there last night and agree wiith everything Mallardo has said. Given the pedigree of those involved, I expected it to be good, but it way exceeded my expectations. Buckley is tremendous and the show, which sounds bonkers on paper, makes sense as a surrealist exploration of love, loss, friendship and the evils of unbridled capitalism. The bar is great at this little theatre too. I've totally fanboy raved at length on my blog http://www.frontrowd...tre-friday.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#29 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

View Postpaplazaroo, on 09 February 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

Anyone know if they do day seats? Looking at the website there are plenty of tickets available so if I could pay a tenner or so I would otherwise ill just hold tight and pray it papers. I know I'm a terrible person, but I'm skint!

There's an offer for top price tickets for £23 Monday - Friday - http://www.theatremo...LOFFERS.htm#Cha
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#30 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

Thank you! I suppose I need to get over paying west end prices (I dayseat everything) for the Charring Cross Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users