57 replies to this topic

#31 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

Well - just my luck - tried to book this offer and the discount did not come off the ticket price after I had put in the code - this after having spent time registering with the charing cross theatre. Bugger! I never get a deal. Would have paid £25 inc booking fee but not £44.

Loads of tickets available as well - not surprised if the promotional codes dont work. So much for technology!

#32 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Did you try both codes? First one only works till 13th Feb
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#33 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Yes I tried both codes for both periods!

#34 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

wickedgrin, the DWPREVIEW code is working, I just tried it. You reserve the tickets and then before you pay a box appears saying "enter promotional code".
www.frontrowdress.com

#35 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1306 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Oh my god I definitely would not pay full price (44?) to see this.. Get in quick on that discount. It's pretty outrageous to charge that full price when it's such a cheap production. Even with the wonderful Betty in it..

#36 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

OK - Not to be defeated I tried again. The £23 offer (plus £2 booking fee) now only applies until Wed 13th Feb and not the evening performance. I have booked for the Wed matinee. The code worked. But earlier today it was advertising the offer for the full run but that has now disappeard. So if you want the offer you will have to be quick with only 3 perfs left at the preview price!

#37 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

How to describe this show? Well "whimsical" would be polite, "slight" would be more appropriate. It is no surprise it was not a hit. Despite some lovely melodies, the show is just too ridiculous!

However, that said the production is lovely, simply and attractively designed and costumed. Gillian Lynne's choreography witty and clever. A terrific cast - what a pleasure to see artists such as Peter Land, Robert Meadmore and Rebecca Lock.

Betty Buckley is of course just wonderful. What a thrill to see her in such an intimate space. Her renditions of "I dont want to know" and "I was beautiful" with tears in her eyes was just musical theatre perfection. A masterclass.

#38 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. I can see why it wasn't a big hit; but the programme notes are very interesting, describing how Jerry Herman aimed to produce a more intimate musical, designed for a boutique venue, after the success of Hello Dolly, Mame & Mack & Mabel etc. The producers tried to turn it into a big theatre, big stage extravanganza & it simply didn't work & lost its charm.

And charm there is aplenty. Yes, it's a silly plot (based on an old French novel by Giraudoux) with caricature characters, but the production capitalises on this & uses a lot of mime & movement to give the show an almost cartoonesque feel. The sets are stunning, it is one of the most polished things I have seen at the Charing Cross. People around me thought it was "weird" but everyone seemed drawn in by its warmth & I think Gillian Lynne has achieved something much closer to what was originally intended.

You will like this if you have recently loved the older, hidden gem musicals that have been quite prevelant on the fringe lately (which is a good thing!), such as Mack & Mabel, Victor Victoria, Sweet Smell, Steel Pier etc.

Betty Buckley was incredible, what a presence! It is worth seeing for her performance alone. But don't let that take away from everyone else, the entire cast is top notch. I hate to single anyone out, as there is something positive to say about each & every one of them, but the guy who played The Mute, Ayman Safiah is an absolutely beautiful dancer & so compelling to watch. I predict great things for him. And he has one of the loveliest bottoms I have ever seen.

#39 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

Well said Freckles, agree with every word, particularly Ayam's scene stealing bum. I went again yesterday and loved it (the show and the bum) even more.

Judging by his tweets last night however, Daddy Shenton hated it. I hope he's in a minority.
www.frontrowdress.com

#40 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

Oh dear. I was hoping they would get good reviews but I'll concede that it is strange & you have to go with it, maybe it doesn't work if you're not in the right mood. It worked for me.

Will be interesting to see what all the critics make of it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users