57 replies to this topic

#41 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

It is great to see something before it opens before the "critics" give an opinion. You can genuinely make up your own mind without being influenced by the opinion of others.

I thought it was a lovely production with wonderful performances of a rather "odd" show, but who can complain about some wonderful Jerry Herman melodies and the incomparable Betty Buckley.

#42 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

Great review from the Arts Desk http://www.theartsde...g-cross-theatre
www.frontrowdress.com

#43 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

Here's The Stage Review
(not Mark Shenton!)

Never has the word "whimsy" been so well used as in reaction to this piece...!

I do maintain though, that the complaints of such whimsy & one dimensional characters seem to me to be missing the point somewhat. I thought that was deliberate, to enhance the fantastical, storybook nature of the tale & worked well...

#44 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

The 'whimsy' may be deliberate, but I didn't like it.  I actually thought from listening to the Broadway cast recording that the Tea Party Trio was going to be the embarrassingly awful part of the show, but that turned out to be brilliantly hilarious, with all three of the mad old bats giving excellent comic performances.

It was actually the three 'Presidents' I found embarrassing.  Well, them and the Sewer Man!  It wasn't charmingly absurd, it was just bizarrely stupid.

Comparing the song order from Broadway to London shows this is just a random story that can be shuffled endlessly without any real effect - proving what an extremely lightweight and pointless plot it is.  Half the stuff that happened seemed unnecessary but was only kept in because there was already a song for it, although originally at another point during the evening.

On the up side, Betty Buckley still has it... by the bucketload!  And this is a good way to experience a performance of hers up close.

I can't get 'I Don't Want To Know' out of my head, but apart from that I think this is a very weak Jerry Herman score.  Give me Mack & Mabel any day!

#45 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Really lovely review from Michael Billington in the Guardian http://www.guardian....ar-world-review
www.frontrowdress.com

#46 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Great review on Broadway World http://westend.broad...3-2013-20130214
www.frontrowdress.com

#47 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

This is clearly a marmite show!

#48 Jacco

Jacco

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

I adored this little show. Of course I came to hear a Broadway legend sing (and DAMN she did!), but was pleasantly surprised by the whole cast. It's a problem show, definitely, but it is just a funny,touching and beautifully produced little gem. I hope it finds an audience quickly, it was shockingly empty on Saturday night. Miss Buckley deserves more people to see this heartfelt, amazingly sung performance.

Maybe they should get rid of the awful poster and just put BUCKLEY above the title? Wish I could see it again!

#49 Florence

Florence

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

I'm afraid I found the musical a little flat. The mime artist was great and the actors/actresses did their best but I found the storyline weak and the songs weren't very memorable. Other musicals have had silly storylines but  I've enjoyed them because they've  been funny but I did not find this very funny. It's a shame as it is a lovely venue and there are obviously good performers.

#50 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

I think I must have missed something with this one, didn't think it worked at all. I felt like it was what would happen if Balamory did an Ionesco special. I am still caught between wondering if it really was just a silly story with odd one liners to be taken on face value or maybe something deeper about the power of memory and wanting to keep the world a safe, nice, place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users