57 replies to this topic

#51 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Episode 330: Betty Buckley's Dear World: Nick and Robert share their thoughts on the UK premiere of Jerry Herman's Dear World, currently playing at the Charing Cross Theatre until March 30th - and talk to its star - the Broadway legend - Betty Buckley.

MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#52 James84

James84

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

I was due to go tonight but apparently its been cancelled this evening?

#53 serpentstoooth

serpentstoooth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

Cancelled? Interesting! Here's my stab at a review http://serpents-toot...-world.html?m=1

#54 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

I really enjoyed this. It’s absurdly quirky, funny, charming and is well produced. I found the first half to me more engaging than the second and this might be due to the fact that Paul Nicholas had a much bigger role in the second! – is it just me or is he a really poor actor? I found the court scene (this scene basically hangs off PN) to be superfluous and PN’s song to be arduous. But maybe if someone like Roger Allam was in the role it would be different?

Jerry Herman’s score has got some great songs in and boy is he a tunesmith. Betty Buckley as the crazy cat lady (last time I saw her she had a dead ape dumped on a shelf! ) is really quite wonderful and is worth the ticket price alone - I really wish she performed in the UK more often. it was a very good night out at the theatre and i'm still humming the tunes :)

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#55 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

View Postserpentstoooth, on 19 February 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

Cancelled? Interesting! Here's my stab at a review http://serpents-toot...-world.html?m=1

Apparently this came down to cast illness.
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#56 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

Betty Buckley tweeted she was ill and out of both shows today.
www.frontrowdress.com

#57 aprilamy

aprilamy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

The show was sadly cancelled when I had booked on Saturday 9th Feb matinee, apparently due to Paul Nicholas being unwell (though I was told 'technical difficulties' when I arrived at the theatre...)
Had been really looking forward to it & was only down for a long weekend so couldn't reschedule. Ended up virtually running along the Strand to get tickets for something else at 2.15 so as not to waste the day!
I've been considering whether or not to save up and travel down again in March, just for a day trip as I really would love the chance to see such a rarely performed musical and to see Betty Buckley, but don't know whether to risk the train fare again if there has been another cancellation! Hope Betty is back performing soon!

#58 alec_e10

alec_e10

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Went to see it last night and if was pretty full apart from a few empty seats at the back of the stalls.
Its an odd old show I have to say and thought it was a bit bonkers and strange.
I did like the scenes with the 3 mad women and the immaginary dog.
Noticed that quite a few people did not come back for the 2nd half .

I am glad I saw it mainly due to Betty Buckley who had such star presence and an wonderful voice. The last time I had seen her was as Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard many years ago

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users