133 replies to this topic

#1 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

i recently went to see crazy for you, which i liked due to the novelty of it all. very old school, and rather delightful in it's wee time capsule! i also thoroughly enjoyed the spectacle of Singin in the Rain too. have yet to see Top Hat. have heard seriously mixed reviews about it  from when it was on tour and wanted to get an all round idea of what to expect.
any reviews would be appreciated.

#2 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

View Postharveyjnr, on 14 March 2012 - 02:55 PM, said:

<br />i recently went to see crazy for you, which i liked due to the novelty of it all. very old school, and rather delightful in it's wee time capsule! i also thoroughly enjoyed the spectacle of Singin in the Rain too. have yet to see Top Hat. have heard seriously mixed reviews about it  from when it was on tour and wanted to get an all round idea of what to expect.<br />any reviews would be appreciated.<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

I enjoyed it, the set and costumes were definitly West End standard.  Great cast, well Tom Chambers could be better but he is good enough.  Its a little over long and sags towards the end but I enjoyed it more than Crazy For You, but its not as brilliant as SITR is. Check out the website, there is a video preview which will give you a good idea.

Id say its worth giving it a shot, especially if you can get discounted tickets

#3 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

thanks titan!

#4 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

View Postharveyjnr, on 14 March 2012 - 02:55 PM, said:

<br />i recently went to see crazy for you, which i liked due to the novelty of it all. very old school, and rather delightful in it's wee time capsule! i also thoroughly enjoyed the spectacle of Singin in the Rain too. have yet to see Top Hat. have heard seriously mixed reviews about it  from when it was on tour and wanted to get an all round idea of what to expect.<br />any reviews would be appreciated.<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

I loved Crazy For You - partly for the non-stop Gershwin and also Sean Palmer's dancing.The trouble with Top Hat and SITR for me is that I love the films and unless I get Fred and Ginger or Gene Kelly equivalents on stage I shall be really upset!

#5 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

i do believe that SITR lives up to the movie. and i'm huge on that move! i think its a stellar cast and the energy levels are through the roof. but i heard top hat give a more subdued performance! and i've heard bland being mentioned to!
i just really don't want to pay through the roof for a second to best performance!! but again, it's worth seeing it live in front of you isn't it

#6 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

I thought it was very entertaining with some great dance numbers. Maybe the story is typical, but I love a good old fashioned musical farce. Worth a Low Full Price if you like musicals like this, otherwise it is still worth a matinee

Only downside was the set. I know this was touring, but it was quite noticeable that they were using it for every different setting. It also felt a bit small for a musical about dancing. The dance number that ended act 1 felt bunched up because of the amount of space avaliable.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#7 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

I saw Top Hat early last year when it had just transferred to the West End and loved it; catchy songs, great dance numbers and very funny. However I saw it again last night with the next cast and I have to say it was even more brilliant this time around. Gavin Lee and Alex Gaumond were the perfect Jerry and Alberto, and this is now definitely one of my favourite shows. Highly recommended!

#8 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

How's the new leading lady?
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#9 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

I love Gavin Lee!! He was amazing in Mary Poppins, I can't wait to see him in this!!

#10 Vicky

Vicky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

I'm going to see this in a week, will be interesting to see something new.

Going to see a friend that is it in, and it is certainly more her type of show, so really looking forward to seeing her be amazing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users