133 replies to this topic

#21 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

Gavin's done Poppins on and off and he's done it not only in London and Broadway but also the US National tour, it'd be interesting seeing him doing a different role,

#22 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Anyone seen Alex as Alberto?

#23 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostCatqc, on 26 February 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

Yes, I went Saturday evening to see the new cast, though Gavin Lee was off sick (which I didn't mind as I love the u/s Jerry, Alan Burkitt). I couldn't imagine Alex Gaumond as Alberto beforehand, having seen him in Legally Blonde a few times. However when I did see him I thought he was very good & covincing as a crazy Italian despite not really being Latin!
There have been some line changes/omissions/additions with the new cast so Alberto has lost one of the lines that used to always be good for a laugh, the one about going out but waiting if he comes back before he returns (it's such a deliberately convoluted sentence that I can't quote it properly despite having seen the show several times!). However there is also an added bit in Act 2, which I won't say so as not to spoil it for future repeat visitors, that I loved.

#24 showtoones

showtoones

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

How long is Gavin contracted to be in the show? I assume a year? Does anyone know?

#25 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

View PostCatqc, on 26 February 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

Yes, thought he was brilliant as Alberto! In fact, I enjoyed his version even better than the one I saw when the show just transferred to the West End.

#26 greeny11

greeny11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

View Postshowtoones, on 26 February 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:

How long is Gavin contracted to be in the show? I assume a year? Does anyone know?

Originally, he was due to return to Mary Poppins in August, so probably a 6 month contract.  Maybe he'll extend it now Poppins is closing on Broadway.

#27 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

Saw the show tonight.  Not been before, so can't compare to the original cast, and Gavin Lee was off tonight, but I thought it was fantastic.  The cast, the music, the set - all top quality.  A really classy show.

#28 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:58 AM

Been looking eagerly for affordable tix since the latest comments here, but so far can't find anything cheaper than at TKTS, which is still a bit steep at present.

#29 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostSteve10086, on 27 February 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

Saw the show tonight.  Not been before, so can't compare to the original cast, and Gavin Lee was off tonight, but I thought it was fantastic.  The cast, the music, the set - all top quality.  A really classy show.

I was there too & loved it. As you, I can't compare to the original cast, but I thought Kristen BW was wonderful as Dale & really looked like a movie star from the era. The understudy, Alan Burkitt, was fantastic as Jerry too. In fact all of the cast were very slick & it's an elegant, quality production.
Alex Gaumond was far better than I anticipated, although I have always liked his work I've never really seen him do anything as "character" as that, very funny.
I absolutely adored the costumes too - every ensemble member was always beautifully clad, especially the girls, and the designs were so beautiful that they really enhanced the movement.

#30 Carmella1

Carmella1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

View Postfringefan, on 28 February 2013 - 04:58 AM, said:

Been looking eagerly for affordable tix since the latest comments here, but so far can't find anything cheaper than at TKTS, which is still a bit steep at present.

When I saw this last month I got a day seat.  I just asked at the BO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users