Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

View PostThe Suburbanite, on 25 March 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

Sinead Matthews.

Whoops, just been catching up with season 3 of Being Human, wrong Sinead in my brain.

This, along with 'Tis Pity She's a Whore', is my highlight of this year so far.

#12 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1026 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

One of the many books I never got round to reading and now Iím not sure I will as the Complicite version is just so good. I need the excitement of last nights performance to die down but this may be one of the best things Iíve seen.

Paul Rhys & Sinead Matthews were stunning and I wonder if Iíll see stronger performances this year. I was incredibly impressed with SMís command of the stage considering what she was wearing ďDelightedĒ

I agree with Billington about the busyness of it but the second half really came into itís stride (literally!) and totally knocked me for six. Towards the end, I got such a sense of peace, calm and tranquillity from the narrative*. Its excellent. Go and see it.

*Sorry if it sounds all a bit trust exercise with Legs Akimbo ;-)

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#13 Theatresquirrel

Theatresquirrel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT.

Never in all my days did I imagine anyone would be able to adapt such a complex, fabulist, epic book, but it's all here. Truly jawdropping. Paul Rhys was indeed astonishing, but a big shout out for his retinue too, particular the cat who it was a joy to see come to life after loving him on the page. I also loved the way it mixed hi-tech and lo-tech magic, so equally breathtaking was the coup de theatre when Margarita leaps out of the window (calling up the absolute cutting edge of digital technology) and the scene where she tries to keep the room together, which simply involves cast members lifting up furniture. Spellbinding. If we see anything better this year, we'll be very lucky people indeed.

#14 vickster51

vickster51

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

I agree with all the praise here as I saw today's matinee and thought it was stunning. It was a unique experience and left me with so mch to think about afterwards. Very few productions have ended and made me want to go wow, but this certainly did and is my new favourite of the year so far.I have not read the book so wasn't sure what to expect but Complicite's involvement was enough to get me interested and I certainly wasn't disappointed. Great performances all round, sperbly staged, directed and lit. I agree that the use of the backdrops is very clever indeed and adds another dimension to the production.Lovely to see high tech graphics combined with more simple effects (people simply holding up chairs to represent trees for example).I did think the first half was a little too long (maybe by 10 minutes or so) but other than that the entire 3 hrs 20 minutes zipped by.Go and see this if you can. I may even consider trying to see it again, even if this means trying for returns.

#15 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

I was there too at Saturday matinee! Clever, well acted and quite simply another world. Loved Paul Rhys and Sinead Matthews and agree with previous posters that retinue was fantastic, although I wasn't entirely convinced by the cat! I enjoyed the use of projections and thought the production had just the right mixture of hi and low tech solutions...liked the chairs horse for example and the booth as a tram. Now have to go and read the book.... Lovely to meet Beth from the forum who had my other ticket. Sorry I didn't spot you Vickster51 and say hello!

#16 Whenindisgrace

Whenindisgrace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

Fingers crossed they bring it back then as I haven't got a ticket.  Most of their stuff comes round a second time, doesn't it?

#17 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:33 AM

Yes, I think most of their recent shows have been revived at the Barbican. I would expect to see it back after the international tour.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#18 Beth

Beth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

View PostLatecomer, on 01 April 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

I was there too at Saturday matinee! Clever, well acted and quite simply another world. Loved Paul Rhys and Sinead Matthews and agree with previous posters that retinue was fantastic, although I wasn't entirely convinced by the cat! I enjoyed the use of projections and thought the production had just the right mixture of hi and low tech solutions...liked the chairs horse for example and the booth as a tram. Now have to go and read the book.... Lovely to meet Beth from the forum who had my other ticket. Sorry I didn't spot you Vickster51 and say hello!

It was great to meet you too, Latecomer.  A fabulous production, and good company!

#19 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

It's coming back!

From 14 Dec to 19 Jan at the Barbican - forget panto, treat the kids to a Very Complicite Christmas instead

Public booking opens on Tuesday
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#20 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

Hurrah! :) Not many matinees...it will be my between Xmas and New Year treat with daughter! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users