32 replies to this topic

#31 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

Saw this tonight and was predictably blown away.  I'm not sure I understood everything that was going on but it was so damned impressive I didn't care.  Susan Lynch is the new Margarita and was excellent.  I have always been a fan of hers so it was wonderful to see so much of her.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#32 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1666 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

Loved this the second time around with new Margarita. I could relax as I knew I would enjoy the production and just concentrate on all the little details. First time round I had not read the book and immediately went off and did so...
Enjoyed the ending even though I knew about how they played all the parts- this time I could savour it..and it made me cry at the end. I think what is so clever about the production is how they weave all the stories into a thread all at the same time, with on lookers being us and people on stage too. I like this as it keeps the narrative going and the individaul stories become clearer as the play goes on. Actors are immense, especially Paul Rhys....he just lives the role. Liked the chap who played Pontious Pilate too...perhaps someone can tell me who it was as didn't get a programme?
Liked both Margaritas - different but each brought their own interpretation and couldn't fault either.
So glad I saw again. B)
Bad form the party of 3 who arrived late for their first row seats and ate a whole picnic in the interval there - including very strong smelling sandwiches and bananas. Took about 5 mins to unpack all their food!

#33 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3750 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

Pilate: Tim McMullan. NT's Cherry Orchard, Old Vic's Flea in Her Ear amongst others.

This was very impressive, as well as incredibly mystifying. I didn't get most of it; sometimes I felt the staging a bit confusing, and at nearly 3hrs30 it's too long, but there were so many stunning moments I didn't mind too much. The horse made from chairs, the flying, the crumbling house, integrating of live video- technically dazzling. And simple stuff like the tram, or Jesus with a few canes. All powerful visuals. Paul Rhys superb: totally inhabits both parts, and Susan Lynch as Margarita excellent. But it's really an ensemble piece; so many parts. And such a mix of styles- direct address to the audience with microphones, the interaction with the front row,  puppetry... you'd think they would feel out of place, but they don't really.

Yes, the 3 latecomers annoying, though I couldn't smell the picnic!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users