11 replies to this topic

#1 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

Mum and Dad coming to visit me in July and am thinking of taking them to the show just announced at New Wimbledon Theatre as they love music but don't want to sit through a whole show.

http://www.atgticket...5/#overview_tab

I see it is produced by the same people as Idini Menzel at Royal Albert Hall. Anyone seen that one? I don't go and see many musicals so would be glad of any advice.

Gareth Gates would make my Mum happy! :)

#2 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3746 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

Often I find those musical revue things to be very cheaply produced, but in this case, it seems to have  touch more calibre. Maybe wait and see who else is in the cast?

#3 JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

If they love musical songs I guess it might be ok.  Personally I'm not keen on this type of show because it's just one song after the other and, because they're out of the context of the show they're from, there's little engagement or emotional involvement.  Also, from personal experience, they tend to drag on a bit.  Of course, this might be different but, if your folks aren't interested in a story and just want music, it's probably fine!

#4 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

So far they have Gareth Gates and Rachael Wooding confirmed - I believe they are holding castings for the other lead vocalists in the next few weeks!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#5 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

View PostLaughingmonsta, on 20 March 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

<br />So far they have Gareth Gates and Rachael Wooding confirmed - I believe they are holding castings for the other lead vocalists in the next few weeks!<br />
Will keep an eye out! I think it will probably be just up their street. A little bit of all the songs they know plus some new ones that will be from musicals they haven't seen....you never know, might get them to book tickets to Wicked!

#6 Danube

Danube

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

I like this sort of thing, and they are especially ideal if you want to take family or friends to see something a bit musical theatre, but you aren't sure exactly what they like.   There tends to be a higher hit rate of good music that is familiar and widely liked compared with most shows.  I like both Gareth and Rachael, and the musicals listed, so I'd already have tickets for this if I didn't have to attend a pesky family wedding!!

#7 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

is it momentous?
was thinking about Lord of the rings which I thought was amazing. pity it didn't make enough money

#8 Danube

Danube

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

I see this has now moved dates to 19th July to avoid a clash as Gareth Gates has been cast in Loserville at the West Yorkshire Playhouse.  I know a couple of people who are annoyed at the date change, but I'm happy as there is now a chance I can make it!

#9 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

Other cast members confirmed today include: Olivier Award nominee Emma Williams, Jonathan Ansell and Daniel Boys
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#10 Danube

Danube

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for the update.  I already have my ticket!

I expect you know Laughingmonsta, but Gareth spoke about the show, and other theatre stuff in an interview with Graham Norton on his radio show at the weekend.  It's on the iPlayer - just under two and a half hours in. http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01hpkbk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users