Amazing cast!! I cannot wait to book.

#13 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

I was going to wait but I couldn't so I've just booked my ticket! What a brilliant cast!

#14 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

Does anyone know the approximate running time for Merrily? (Obviously I realise different productions will vary a bit.) As I live outside London I don't want to book for an evening performance & then find it finishes too late to get a train home.

#15 Newsbie

Newsbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

So Many things I want to see at the moment ! Just moved to London from small town Wales ... is it always this good !

#16 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

I've just booked for this, front row, 1st Dec matinee. I've stayed away from the Menier for a couple of years now, being put off by their high prices (for a fringe venue), and since then I've only seen their productions which have transferred to the WE, at discounts. However this cast, nor the prospect of Maria Friedman directing Sondheim, could keep me away any longer!

#17 Sam4God

Sam4God

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:03 AM

What a fantastic cast - just booked a ticket for this! Cannot wait :)
WEST END: Wicked X80 | Billy Elliot X91 | Singin' In The Rain X25 | Avenue Q X16 | Legally Blonde X27 | Matilda X5 | The Lion King X5 | Sound of Music X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X2 | We Will Rock You X4 | The 39 Steps X15 | Oliver X3 | Chicago X2 | Mamma Mia! X7 |  Hair X3 | Ghost Stories X1 | Jersey Boys X7 | Enron X1 | Blood Brothers X3 | All The Fun of the Fair X1 | Phantom of the Opera X5 | Flashdance X3 | Stomp X1 | Grease The Musical X3 | Sweet Charity X2 | The Woman In Black X2 | Priscilla X2 | Dreamboats and Petticoats X1 | The Glass Menagerie X1 | Love Never Dies X2 | Wizard of Oz X3 | Deathtrap X1 | Sister Act X5 | Love Story X2 | Ordinary Days X1 | End of the Rainbow X1 | Umbrellas of Cherbourg X3 | Flare Path X1 | Spelling Bee X1 | Shrek X7 | Thrill Me X1 | Lend Me A Tenor X2 | Ghost X3 | Betty Blue Eyes X1 | Rock of Ages X3 | Master Class X1 | One Man, Two Guv'nors X2 | Pitmen Painters X1 | Soho Cinders X2 | Spamalot x3 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Volcano X1 | Loserville X6 | Good Night Mr. Tom X1 | Scrooge X1 | Once X2 | A Chorus Line X5 | Curious Incident X2 | Beautiful Thing X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | A Midsummer Night's Dream X2 | Book of Mormon X2 | From Here To Eternity X1 | Stephen Ward X1 | The Commitments X1 | I Can't Sing X2 | Dirty Rotten Scoundrels X1 | The Duck House X1

FRINGE: Smokey Joe's Cafe X1 | Tomorrow Morning X3 | Company X1 | The Kissing Dance X2 | Road Show X1 | Crazy For You X1 | The Belle's Stratagem X3 | Pippin X1 | Kissing Sid James X1 | Mack & Mabel X1 | Taboo X1 | Victor/Victoria X1 | Bully Boy X1 | Daddy Long Legs X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | Lift X4 | Payback the Musical X1 | Candide X1 | The A to Z of Mrs P X1

BROADWAY: Wicked X1 | Newsies X1 | Annie X1

ON TOUR: Les Miserables (Barbican) X1 | Evita (Wimbledon) X1 | Annie (Woking) X1 | Hairspray (Woking) X1 | Avenue Q (Bromley) X2 | Avenue Q (Richmond) X2 | Avenue Q (Woking) X2 | Avenue Q (High Wycombe) X2 | Avenue Q (Southampton) X1 | Avenue Q (Milton Keynes) X1 | Avenue Q (Salford) X1 | Avenue Q (Cardiff) X1 | Avenue Q (Belfast) X1 | Avenue Q (Northampton) X2 | Jekyll & Hyde (Woking) X1 | Legally Blonde (Bristol) X2 | Legally Blonde (York) X1 | Legally Blonde (Glasgow) X1 | Legally Blonde (Edinburgh) X1 | Sister Act (Oxford) X1 | Legally Blonde (Wimbledon) X1 | Rent 20th Anniversary Concert X5 | West Side Story X1 | Wicked X10 | Seven Brides for Seven Brothers X1 | Fiddler on the Roof X1 | Fame X1 | Tonight's The Night X1

CHICHESTER: She Loves Me X3

OPEN AIR THEATRE: Crazy For You X1, Sound of Music X1

NATIONAL THEATRE: Welcome To Thebes X1 | London Road X1 | Curious Incident X1 | The Light Princess X1

OTHER: Vampirette (Manchester) X2, Loserville (Leeds) X1

#18 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

Me too, am very excited by this and the prospect of the Menier putting on another Sondheim. Will be booking tickets soon. Yay!
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#19 ajblowing

ajblowing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

Surprised there are no reactions to this yet!  Went to see it on Saturday night, my first trip to the Menier and like most people I was excited by the great cast they'd put together.

Have to say that I came away quite disappointed overall.  Firstly, when I walked in and I saw the rather stark white set I did think to myself, I hope I don't have to look at that all night - but apart from the top of Act 2 it really doesn't change around much. The cast had a lot of energy and performances were generally solid though. Of the leads, I think Damian Humbley comes out of this the best and his Franklin Sheperd Inc. was a highlight, but I did feel that the chemistry between the three friends wasn't quite right.  Jenna Russell, who I loved in 'Into the Woods', to me seemed to play Mary as way too broad and old/jaded in the beginning so that in the later scenes I never bought her as the young kid trying to break into showbiz for the first time.

One other thing to note if you're going - there is a serious amount of smoke in this production i.e. a lot of people smoking on stage and use of the smoke machine at some points as well.  Obviously you're pretty close to the action here which meant a few of the older audience members spent half the performance coughing their lungs up, not exactly a pleasant theatrical experience!

I did have a bit of a geek out moment seeing Jonathan Tunick in the back row though :D

#20 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

Well they've obviously sorted the problems with pollution, as we were in the second row and didn't feel any ill-effects. Just shows what an extra week of previews can do though, as I thought it really couldn't be bettered. Jenna Russell is heartbreaking, but the entire cast are tremendous, as is the nine piece brass heavy band. I've out and out raved on my blog, but just give yourself an early Christmas present and buy a ticket. http://www.frontrowd...-chocolate.html
www.frontrowdress.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users