#161 Distant_Cousin

Distant_Cousin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

View Postmallardo, on 07 May 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

Of all the Sondheim shows THIS score is the one with the most idiomatically "popular" songs - deliberately so since the protagonists are songwriters trying to write hit shows.  If this score doesn't appeal then it's time to give up on Sondheim and admit your taste just isn't that sophisticated.

This kind of insidious snobbery does Sondheim fans no favours whatsoever.

#162 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

Yes, agreed! I love me some Sondheim, but so many of his fans think he is the only person who should be listened to and if you don't like him then you aren't clever enough!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#163 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

If this score doesn't appeal then it's time to give up on Sondheim and admit your taste just isn't that sophisticated.

Had this stopped at the word "Sondheim", it would have all been fine.

#164 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

You're quite right, popcultureboy - sincere apologies to those concerned.  Didn't mean to be such a snob. The lesson is don't bring a bad mood with you when making comments here.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#165 Distant_Cousin

Distant_Cousin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

View PostMS1995, on 07 May 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

Yes, agreed! I love me some Sondheim, but so many of his fans think he is the only person who should be listened to and if you don't like him then you aren't clever enough!
Indeed, and I am a huge fan of Sweeney Todd, Company and Into The Woods!

#166 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

yeah Ive been accused of 'not getting' Sunday In The Park because I dont think the second Act is great

#167 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

To me, Sunday In The Park With George is two one act musicals put together. First time I saw it, I was very "what on EARTH is happening?"

#168 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

I wasn’t too impressed with this at the Chocolate Factory. The performances are now much stronger in the West End but I don’t think it’s a great production Plus I really miss the original book. The graduation scene really adds to it’s dramatic weight “why can’t it be like it was”

Slightly changing subject, I went to Paris a few weeks ago to See Sunday at the Chatalet, now that was well directed :rolleyes:

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#169 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Saw this this afternoon and really enjoyed it! Great performances from all and really liked the story and its progression (without going into spoilers). I urge you all to go :)
So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

#170 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

I saw this last night as part of the WhatsOnStage outing and really enjoyed it and was quite moved. As good as the three leads were, for me Damian Humbley as Charles Kringas was a standout. I found myself humming and singing "Not a Day Goes By" under my breath all day.
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users