239 replies to this topic

#191 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

Saw this for the first time last night, we got £10 day seats around 1:30pm.  Very good value for money.
In all fairness, I am not a Sondheim fan at all, I didn't care for Sweeney Todd & Company was the biggest pile of rat droppings I have ever seen (personal opinion here folks!).  So I had to be somewhat dragged to see this.  
Admittedly, it was better than I was expecting, though I did find myself longing for the end of the first act, I found it dragging.  As for the cast, they were all great, especially Damian Humbley, his ranting song during the TV interview got quite the applause.  I havent come away with any of the songs stuck in my head, which, after Company, and getting Bobby, Bobby, stuck in my head for months afterwards, I find myself really quite grateful.  3*/5
Chasing the music, trying to get home.......
Seeee ya George..... See ya sunshine.... w****nker!
I hate you! You're a b*stard! ..... Ohhhhhh sh*t!
I've seen the real world from my caravan window...... and they can keep it!

West End: - Jersey Boys x 179 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Off Broadway: - Rent x 1 - Avenue Q x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

#192 grandholmrobbo

grandholmrobbo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, travel (cruising especially), football

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

I saw the matinee yesterday. Unlike the previous poster I am a Sondheim fan, in fact I've appeared in amateur productions of Sweeney Todd and recently Assassins. Wow this one is fantastic! I know some people don't 'get' Sondheim, but you have to admire how clever this guy is. The music, lyrics, topics - just hits the spot with me. Seemed like a good house yesterday afternoon as well which was nice to see. Isn't it just great to see things like this being revived? As much as I love Les Mis and Phantom etc, this is so refreshing. Brilliant, fantastic cast and production.

#193 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

Got a 10 dayseat online just now thanks to you guys!!!

#194 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

What website are the day seats on please Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie?

#195 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

They where on atg theatre website. I clicked on 10 tickets at 10.15am and they came up in the gods. Tried again at 10.30am and got row c in the stalls

#196 theatrepaul

theatrepaul

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

That's a good tip to know. I fancy seeing this again before its run ends

#197 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

Defo worth another gander before it closes as fantastic production.
I ultimately felt frustrated with the structure. There was no real climax and all the conflict was at the beginning of the piece.  I also was DESPERATE to know why Mary struggled with sucess and became a drunk and why Charlie was so against selling out. Frank was fleshed out, I just wished the other 2 were too.
In saying that maybe questions r answered on a 2nd viewing.........??????

#198 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

View PostMrs Lovett, on 19 June 2013 - 09:03 PM, said:

Defo worth another gander before it closes as fantastic production.
I ultimately felt frustrated with the structure. There was no real climax and all the conflict was at the beginning of the piece.  I also was DESPERATE to know why Mary struggled with sucess and became a drunk and why Charlie was so against selling out. Frank was fleshed out, I just wished the other 2 were too.
In saying that maybe questions r answered on a 2nd viewing.........??????
Really interesting to read the original play, that seems to work better still not right tho

#199 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

Here's how I see it, Mrs L.

For others I should of course mention: SPOILERS ABOUND!

Mary's desperately in love with Frank, but sees him meet and marry Beth and them have a son. Hard to deal with, but she's ultimately his friend and tries to accept it, but then sees him throw it all away on the predatory Gussie, and then again on young starlet Meg. Meanwhile she's also witnessed him sacrificing integrity and friendship (specifically Charlie's) for success.

I don't think Charlie was completely against success, but more disgusted at how little Frank thought of their work together, constantly postponing it for other more lucrative deals. Meanwhile Charlie would try and get on with something of his own, only to have Frank return demanding his complete attention again.

I hope this helps in some way- it's such an amazing show and definitely warrants a repeated viewing!
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#200 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

Cheers Deal J. I think maybe I just disliked frank - talented AND good looking! I defo seethe show as his story (even thou,out of the 3, I thought he was the boring character). Thinking about it it actually demands a second viewing, maybe the genius of the piece is reviewing Mary and Charlie??

Again, superb production. LOVED the ensemble - they were brilliantly executed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users