239 replies to this topic

#201 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

No worries Mrs L! I agree with your comment on the ensemble, they're one of the best ensembles I've seen in a musical. I believe in everything going on in the background. I hope someone preserves The Blob for posterity before it closes, it puts me in fits of giggles every time!
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#202 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

Finally saw this. What an utter waste of my time! I love Sondheim songs performed in concert, but I don't think I've enjoyed a single one of his musicals yet.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#203 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

Finally saw this, what a brilliant show! Sondheim is a genius and it just struck me how appropriate it is that this is in the Pinter theatre - a real marmite playwright. In 'must you go' Pinter's widow writes how much he hated chorus line but I think he would have loved this show. Just such an intelligent, thought provoking piece on many levels! If you like cerebral theatre then don't miss it. Incidentally I thought Mark Umbers was a dead ringer for a young version of the Hoff so if they ever make a musical out of him, Umbers should be first in line!

#204 Halpster

Halpster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

View PostKevinUK, on 22 June 2013 - 06:31 PM, said:

Finally saw this. What an utter waste of my time! I love Sondheim songs performed in concert, but I don't think I've enjoyed a single one of his musicals yet.

Really? Seriously? Wow? Out of interest what ones have you seen ? Which productions? How anyone can not enjoy this production is beyond me?

#205 Eastender

Eastender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

I have a big problem with Sondheim. I go to a musical to hear catchy hummable songs and leave with a smile on my face. Not to have my eardrums worn down by tuneless discordant rubbish. I think you get my drift. Sondheim has written dozens of musicals but how many showstopping thumping good tunes can you name. Not many methinks.
Reminds me of when critics name their best films ever and come up with films no one has seen or heard of. Ask the genuine punter and you get the real answer - and it ain't Sondheim. Which, of course, is why his shows never run for long. Blimey even the fantastic Sweeney Todd last year was giving tickets away by the end of the run.

#206 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

View PostEastender, on 25 June 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

I go to a musical to hear catchy hummable songs and leave with a smile on my face. Not to have my eardrums worn down by tuneless discordant rubbish.
I'm sure I won't be the first to point out that this is the idea that this show is designed to oppose.

I think you get my drift. Sondheim has written dozens of musicals but how many showstopping thumping good tunes can you name. Not many methinks.
Being alive, broadway baby, send in the clowns, not a day goes by, comedy tonight, side by side, not while I'm around,  losing my mind... the list goes on and that's not mentioning his fantastic work on West Side Story.

Reminds me of when critics name their best films ever and come up with films no one has seen or heard of. Ask the genuine punter and you get the real answer - and it ain't Sondheim. Which, of course, is why his shows never run for long.
I guess it's hard to defend Sondheim without sounding snobby, you're right that the kind of people who like independant and arthouse cinema would be more drawn to Sondheim than a jukebox or an ALW. I guess maybe we should all agree to disagree and create two new labels for musicals, Feelgood leave your brain at the door Musicals and intelligent contributions to theatre as an artform.

#207 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

I dont think we need to create new labels, they have always been around. And there is nothing wrong with either.

If I want to escape or be entertained I probably wouldnt see a Sondheim show, but if I fancied something a bit different and something that makes you think then I would. The same can be said for plays and any art form really.  There is just as much skill in creating a good feel good show as there is in creating a Sondheim esq show, its just different skills

I like Sondheim, but the snobbish and elistist attitude of some of his fans disgusts me (not aimed at anyone here btw)

#208 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostHalpster, on 25 June 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

Really? Seriously? Wow? Out of interest what ones have you seen ? Which productions? How anyone can not enjoy this production is beyond me?

I admit I haven't seen much of his work - certainly nothing before Sweeney Todd. I'm dying to see West Side Story and Gypsy, and have purposely avoided the film versions in favour of waiting for west end returns.

I just didn't like the score or the book for this one. The last few scenes dragged something terribly. There wasn't enough character development, and I didn't like the time line used - if it's too boring to tell in a linear format, it ain't gonna be interesting otherwise!

#209 Loopyjohn

Loopyjohn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

The reversed time line has one huge pay off - the final scene with the young characters.  It's a heartbreaking scene to watch.

#210 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:17 PM

View PostLoopyjohn, on 25 June 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

The reversed time line has one huge pay off - the final scene with the young characters.  It's a heartbreaking scene to watch.

I didn't see anything special about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users