239 replies to this topic

#31 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:13 AM

This has extended by a couple of weeks, to 9th March.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#32 Theatresquirrel

Theatresquirrel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

Merrily is my second favourite musical, after West Side Story. It's so elaborately constructed and, whereas so many musicals just whip up generalised emotion, this one - as with so much Sondheim - pinpoints with real acuity and sincerity the tangles and compromises of real life. I loved it when I first heard it aged 20 and it's only become more poignant as I've found my own life take unexpected paths like those of its protagonists.

It isn't a classic musical in any regard - it mocks itself for this when, late in the second half, a Broadway producer laments the lack of hummable melodies - but then it's trying to do something that most other musicals don't. It's saying the musical can chart ground that might otherwise only be the preserve of the play, or the novel. In essence I think that it, and a few other Sondheims, appeal moreso to people who go mainly to plays not to musicals, and this may explain why it, and his other shows, have found significant favour at the Donmar where people don't go to see Rodgers and Hammerstein, Lerner and Loewe, or Lloyd Webber.

Anyhow, this is the fifth production I've seen of it, and all have had their strengths. All, as it goes, have had good Marys. It seems getting her right is a real anchor for most directors who embark on this show which is so prismatic that you almost can't render the whole thing perfectly. Every director needs to decide whether they're going to go for older actors who then aren't so natural as the years roll back, or younger ones who don't have sufficient gravitas when the story ends at the start. To be honest, you just have to forgive any production whatever choice it makes here. All told, this one strikes a really good balance, across the board, better than most.

I thought the three leads were as good as any leading trio I've seen do it, and yes I loved the benchmark Donmar gang. I can't imagine anyone getting Mary's bittersweet sass better than Samantha Spiro but Jenna Russell's Mary is all the more moving, those big plaintive eyes reminding us how much the show is about longing. Damian Humbley is as gorgeously geeky as you could ever hope Charlie could be, and Mark Umbers really does walk the tightrope between making Frank loathsome and understandable with massive panache. Think of his snake-hipped superficiality in the opening scenes then his goofy exuberance in the revue show and finally up on the roof. For me, he's definitely the best Frank I've yet seen. Josefina Gabrielle is the best Gussie too. A stunning minx, then beautifully demure in her final incarnation.

I have to say I never imagined Maria Friedman would have the chops for it, but the whole thing is rendered beautifully with lots of loving little details which complement the many gorgeous little mirrors and cross-references in Sondheim's lyrics and score. And it's the version of Merrily I prefer - none of the needless 'Hills of Tomorrow', but instead the one that fully charts a distorted and overblown 'Good Thing Going' gradually returning to its original simplicity. I suspect it's always going to be one of the more elusive of Sondheim's shows, because it is tricksy and it 'aint hummable (most of the time), but this production gives it its best shot yet of enjoying wider favour than before, and I'm thrilled they've had a sell-out because they've clearly put so much love and thought into it.

#33 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

http://www.guardian....shnevskaya-dies

#34 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

Lovely review Theatresquirrel - thank you.  I'm looking forward to this now having read your considered thoughts.  Memories of the Donmar production still haven't left me, so I was approaching this with some trepidation.

#35 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

Yes thanks Squirrel - I'm seeing it (my 4th production) early January and am looking forward with anticipation!
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#36 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

Is this likely to transfer ?

#37 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Does anyone know if the Menier accepts theatre tokens? I see they do a gift card, but I got theatre tokens for christmas and I'm keen to use them on something I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

#38 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:03 AM

Yes, I agree with all of the raves.  Loved the entire cast although Jenna Russell looked to be distractingly pregnant - a fact not quite covered by some interpolated "fat" lines.  The tricky scenes were especially well done - Opening Doors and the cabaret number, Bobbie and Jackie and Jack, were terrific, as was the 2nd act opener, Musical Husbands, complete with snazzy tap dancing. The party pieces which make up so much of the show were stylish and genuinely funny. Brava to Maria Friedman for pulling it all together in such a masterful way. The ending, Our Time, packed the requisite punch.  I don't often see a production of anything twice but this one I will.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#39 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

-

#40 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

They want to transfer it, and its currently looking for a venue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users