#1 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

Allow me to start a new thread.  

I have visited this tiny pub theatre in Barons Court several times.  They put regular magic shows, little plays and sometimes even musicals.

The play I saw last night was called Load Arthur Savile's Crime by Oscar Wilde.  I was expecting a light entertaiment of a reasonable amount of laugh.

How wrong I was!

The actor who played Arthur was the weakest male-lead I'd seen in my entire (long) life.  He could not have been a professional actor.  His voice was extremely feable with no projeftion what's so ever.  And his diction was absolutely appauling. I had to strain my ears to catch what he was saying as his speech was so slurred.

And that is even I could start talking about his acting....

Half of the cast seemed reasonably competant, but dreadfully under-rehearsed.  Many a time they stumbled on their lines, exept, perhaps the young actress who played Arthur's fiancee.

There was an likable elder actress whom I saw before in an wired play called Cause somthing (I can't even remember..) in a little theatre opposite RUG's HQs (if you know where I mean).  Back then I thought she must have been a amateur, and this time I though the same.  But even she was a lot better than the male-lead. At least she could play (just about)  two roles with different accents.

I like this crumbling theatre which is a former wine-celler, because it's a few minitues' walk from the Tube station, and the pub above is very decent and lively.  The BO staff are nice too. But they mustn't risk their reputation by employing such an incompetant actor. And the cast need to rehearse before they can start charging punters.

#2 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:42 AM

View PostSHk, on 23 March 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

The actor who played Arthur was the weakest male-lead I'd seen in my entire (long) life.  He could not have been a professional actor.  His voice was extremely feable with no projeftion what's so ever.  And his diction was absolutely appauling.

Ha ha - enjoyed your archly spiteful piece. However, I don't believe you have had a (long) life at all because people of that generation would have been able to spell a lot better than you can - when you post as a ficticious character you really need to get everything right otherwise you will soon be found out.

Assuming your sentiments are genuine and not just an amusing vendetta against a particular actor you dislike (or, more likely, like a lot) I can't agree really - Baron's Court is a tiny fringe venue under a pub - you get what you pay for and set your expectations accordingly - I've seen a couple of things there and they were OK.

#3 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

Jan, SHk is completely genuine. The spelling is because English isn't her first language. Turning the tables, how's your Japanese? I also enjoyed the spite but agree it's very hard on a small fringe theatre.

#4 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 23 March 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

<br />Jan, SHk is completely genuine. The spelling is because English isn't her first language. Turning the tables, how's your Japanese? I also enjoyed the spite but agree it's very hard on a small fringe theatre.<br />
&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br />Thank you, Honoured Guest for coming to my rescue!!.  YES!! I am totally genuuine. Just see how many comments I have posted since I have joined this forum. And check out the quality of what I have said (just joking but only half).<br /><br />

Yes I know producing high-quality plays must be hard in tiny, low-buget theatres. But it's the same for all tiny theatres which charge about 15 pounds a show.  In that price category, I have seen many many decent to good to excellent quality shows including at Barons. So being a pub theatre is no excuse, I'm afraid.<br /><br />

And I must tell you that I didn't write my comment out of spite. That actor, whom I'd never seen before, was truly incredibly bad. Bad enough for me to open a new thread so that I can lamment about it.<br /><br />

I usually check my spellings, but sometimes I'm too tired to do so, especially when writing late at night. But I hope at least I managed to get my meaning across.

#5 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 23 March 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

Jan, SHk is completely genuine. The spelling is because English isn't her first language.

Personally I would not presume to complain about the diction of a speaker in the second language in which I am semi-fluent (not Japanese) - I would assume the fault was my own.

What was the name of this hopeless actor ? Sean Bean wouldn't appear in such a small venue would he ?

#6 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

I really feel bad about mentioning his name (he was that bad), but here we go: Christian Deal, according to an online publication ( I didn't buy the programme).

#7 Guest_jhmagna_*

Guest_jhmagna_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:45 AM

View PostSHk, on 23 March 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

I really feel bad about mentioning his name (he was that bad), but here we go: Christian Deal, according to an online publication ( I didn't buy the programme).

That's interesting. I've been to that theatre maybe 30 times (although not for many years now) and I can categorically say that Christian Deal is a fine actor (if he wasn't, I wouldn't remember him after all these years). Perhaps he was having a bad night, or perhaps it was someone filling in for him with little time for rehearsal?

#8 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

ihmagina, I really hope that he was indeed the last-minute replacement. That would make sense.

#9 Guest_Baron's Courtier_*

Guest_Baron's Courtier_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

http://www.thestage....r-saviles-crime

Evidence that SHk's original observation about diction was probably not mistaken.

#10 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

Well dug out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users