569 replies to this topic

#461 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

The show is flawed but a star in the title role does elevate it somewhat.

I do wonder whether they will try and get out of heather doing broadway and getting someone else in, say Jennifer hudson

#462 seanmcdona

seanmcdona

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

View PostTitan, on 08 March 2014 - 05:06 PM, said:

I do wonder whether they will try and get out of heather doing broadway and getting someone else in, say Jennifer hudson
I'd run to the show in a heartbeat if Jennifer Hudson was play Rachel!

#463 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:39 AM

View PostTitan, on 08 March 2014 - 05:06 PM, said:

They struck gold with Beverly Knight but I'm not sure if they can replicate that with another singer, if people are coming to see Beverly then when she leaves, tickets sales will likely dip. I imagine the producers will need to make a decision soon whether to close or transfer since the Aldwych will be snapped up in no time by producers wanting to bring a show in in.

#464 Radio

Radio

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

Alexandra Burke was rumoured to replace Knight at one point, but think thats been dropped. It does need a name to keep the sales up at the level that will be required to justify a transfer. Of course though they could find a female lead who has the voice but not the name and go for a very big name to play the title role.
2014 Shows: Lion King (Edinburgh), War Horse (Edinburgh), Private Lives (Edinburgh), Singin In The Rain (Edinburgh), From Here to Eternity (West End), The Commitments (West End), The Duck House (West End), The Bodyguard (West End), Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (West End), I Cant Sing (West End) and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (West End).

#465 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

I'm surprised at the reversal of fortunes Beverley brought with her, as I never really considered her all that big a name. But without her, it's debatable whether the show would be as popular as it currently is. Personally I think they could get away with casting a big name as The a bodyguard and an (outside of theatre circles) unknown as Rachel, as long as she the voice. I was never impressed with Heather's take, but I think anyone coming into this role has a lot to live up to as, let's face it, you're going to be judged against Whitney.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#466 colin123

colin123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

Has tristan gemmell now left the role as frank and if so who is now the lead?? or did Tristan extend his stay?

#467 DanielJohnson14

DanielJohnson14

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

Any news on what is happening with this after it finishes at the current theatre? It seems strange that they have not announced anything yet, could this mean they are looking for another venue for the show?

#468 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

I would be suprised if it found a new theatre, cant think of any theatre free that is big enough to house The Bodyguard, I would imagine it will go on tour.

#469 DanielJohnson14

DanielJohnson14

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

If it closes in August and reopens somewhere else, they could re-design elements of it. You never know, you would of thought they would of announced a closure date for it by now though...

#470 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

The big question is who is taking over from Beverley Knight at the end of May. Even if it does close in August they have to keep the box office healthy for 3 months!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users