569 replies to this topic

#561 danieldabell

danieldabell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

This isn't a case of them not being able to perform eight shows a week; it's singing that many Whitney songs eight times a week. Other shows were written to be sung; this is a show with lots of songs thrown together that weren't written to sing consecutively eight times a week. It is damaging to do this. Whitney wouldn't have done this herself!
Also, Beverley is obviously known/celebrity/a name, but I don't think she was given this role because she's a huge name that will pull in audiences because of her name. I think those that do know her know how incredible her voice is. I believe her voice attracts the audiences. With The Burke I think it is more likely to be name pulling the audiences for a short time. I remember her having a cracking voice, but technically next to Beverley I'm not sure it holds up.
I would really like to see this with Beverley as her voice is incredible.

#562 SuperSecretBoyband

SuperSecretBoyband

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

View PostRyan, on 31 March 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

I could be asking an incredibly stupid question here, but what does that mean?  Does it mean the note is mimed?
The entirety of the title song in Phantom of the Opera is mimed, there's two doubles on the bridge at the start and the actual actors have to be running around backstage to get on the vote, plus Christine's E6 at the end would do permanent damage to most singers' voices.
Seen:
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (UK tour, Wolverhampton), RENT 20th Anniversary Concert (Stoke-on-Trent), Evita (UK tour, Wolverhampton), Wicked (London), The Commitments (London), Les Miserables (London), Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (UK tour, Birmingham)

#563 SF88

SF88

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

View Postdjp, on 30 March 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

Amazed about Evita Paige needing nights off - its not that big a sing compared  to many others is it?

I'd say it's a pretty tough role indeed. She's practically in every scene and it's high belting all the way some very high sustained sections.

Patti LuPone famously said that "'Evita' was the worst experience of my life. I was screaming my way through a part that could only have been written by a man who hates women."!

#564 JoeRH

JoeRH

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

Originally, I said I would like to see Knight and personally, I think AB's singing career has gone a little flat as don't hear much of her these days. However, I have never seen her perform and never seen her acting. I think she would do well from the show and possibly do more musical theatre. I think I'm going to give the girl a chance to prove what's she's got. I also think that it's really nice at how her first musical theatre production are songs from Whitney as Burkes first live performance on The X Factor was a Whitney Classic. She deserves the role as much as anyone else would, surely?

#565 SF88

SF88

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:01 PM

I'd have thought someone who had wanted to be in musical theatre all their life, had been to drama school and had spent years honing her craft in order to rise to the challenge, would "deserve" it more - whatever that means.

#566 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:24 AM

View PostJoeRH, on 01 April 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

Originally, I said I would like to see Knight and personally, I think AB's singing career has gone a little flat as don't hear much of her these days. However, I have never seen her perform and never seen her acting. I think she would do well from the show and possibly do more musical theatre. I think I'm going to give the girl a chance to prove what's she's got. I also think that it's really nice at how her first musical theatre production are songs from Whitney as Burkes first live performance on The X Factor was a Whitney Classic. She deserves the role as much as anyone else would, surely?

Alexandra had a go as Eponine for children In need.

She would deserve the role if she was one of the best available people who could sing it. She may merit it on other grounds too if she can pull in the punters. She could meet both criteria, or one , or none.

#567 DanielJohnson14

DanielJohnson14

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:47 AM

Saw this evenings show, and my damn!

It was the best I have seen it. Beverley was stunning as always, Tristan was great and Carol as Nicki was beautiful, such a stunning voice, Run To You was just breath taking!

Full standing ovation at the end, with a massively enthusiastic audience throughout, cheering and clapping at moments I have never seen them react to, such as Beverley's entrance, Jesus Loves Me, Franks "I Will Always Love You" and the whole way through "I Have Nothing" due to the drunk girls in the Karaoke Bar.

The second act has been very well tightened and is incredibly emotional, with the entire cabin scene a complete roller coaster of emotion. Everyone in the front row was in tears, and at bows Beverley was emotional and cried.

MISTAKES: Two things went wrong tonight, both with Actors forgetting lines. Firstly, Sy Spector (who was played by a very disappointing understudy, the usual guy is very humourous usually) forgot his lines for the opening scene in the house and had to start his line again. Also, the scene in the second act where Frank calls Fletcher, Fletcher got his and Frank's name mixed up, but he got applause for recovering it well.

The show was "full house" according to the sign outside, with all 3 levels open.

#568 Sam4God

Sam4God

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:13 AM

If anybody is seriously doubting Alexandra's ability to sing the Whitney Houston songs, it's probably because they've never heard her sing live before. Whether you like her or not, you can't deny she's got the voice for it.

On the topic of who 'deserves' this role... There may very well be other theatre-trained actresses who are also capable of singing the songs in 'Bodyguard' - some perhaps even better than Alexandra would. But when it comes to casting, a number of factors are taken into consideration and Alexandra's popularity (however you want to define that word) is an advantage. At least she's not just a 'name' - but one who CAN actually sing well. Her acting is a different matter and we can't judge that until she's started performing the role.
WEST END: Wicked X80 | Billy Elliot X91 | Singin' In The Rain X25 | Avenue Q X16 | Legally Blonde X27 | Matilda X5 | The Lion King X5 | Sound of Music X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X2 | We Will Rock You X4 | The 39 Steps X15 | Oliver X3 | Chicago X2 | Mamma Mia! X7 |  Hair X3 | Ghost Stories X1 | Jersey Boys X7 | Enron X1 | Blood Brothers X3 | All The Fun of the Fair X1 | Phantom of the Opera X5 | Flashdance X3 | Stomp X1 | Grease The Musical X3 | Sweet Charity X2 | The Woman In Black X2 | Priscilla X2 | Dreamboats and Petticoats X1 | The Glass Menagerie X1 | Love Never Dies X2 | Wizard of Oz X3 | Deathtrap X1 | Sister Act X5 | Love Story X2 | Ordinary Days X1 | End of the Rainbow X1 | Umbrellas of Cherbourg X3 | Flare Path X1 | Spelling Bee X1 | Shrek X7 | Thrill Me X1 | Lend Me A Tenor X2 | Ghost X3 | Betty Blue Eyes X1 | Rock of Ages X3 | Master Class X1 | One Man, Two Guv'nors X2 | Pitmen Painters X1 | Soho Cinders X2 | Spamalot x3 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Volcano X1 | Loserville X6 | Good Night Mr. Tom X1 | Scrooge X1 | Once X2 | A Chorus Line X5 | Curious Incident X2 | Beautiful Thing X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | A Midsummer Night's Dream X2 | Book of Mormon X2 | From Here To Eternity X1 | Stephen Ward X1 | The Commitments X1 | I Can't Sing X2 | Dirty Rotten Scoundrels X1 | The Duck House X1

FRINGE: Smokey Joe's Cafe X1 | Tomorrow Morning X3 | Company X1 | The Kissing Dance X2 | Road Show X1 | Crazy For You X1 | The Belle's Stratagem X3 | Pippin X1 | Kissing Sid James X1 | Mack & Mabel X1 | Taboo X1 | Victor/Victoria X1 | Bully Boy X1 | Daddy Long Legs X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | Lift X4 | Payback the Musical X1 | Candide X1 | The A to Z of Mrs P X1

BROADWAY: Wicked X1 | Newsies X1 | Annie X1

ON TOUR: Les Miserables (Barbican) X1 | Evita (Wimbledon) X1 | Annie (Woking) X1 | Hairspray (Woking) X1 | Avenue Q (Bromley) X2 | Avenue Q (Richmond) X2 | Avenue Q (Woking) X2 | Avenue Q (High Wycombe) X2 | Avenue Q (Southampton) X1 | Avenue Q (Milton Keynes) X1 | Avenue Q (Salford) X1 | Avenue Q (Cardiff) X1 | Avenue Q (Belfast) X1 | Avenue Q (Northampton) X2 | Jekyll & Hyde (Woking) X1 | Legally Blonde (Bristol) X2 | Legally Blonde (York) X1 | Legally Blonde (Glasgow) X1 | Legally Blonde (Edinburgh) X1 | Sister Act (Oxford) X1 | Legally Blonde (Wimbledon) X1 | Rent 20th Anniversary Concert X5 | West Side Story X1 | Wicked X10 | Seven Brides for Seven Brothers X1 | Fiddler on the Roof X1 | Fame X1 | Tonight's The Night X1

CHICHESTER: She Loves Me X3

OPEN AIR THEATRE: Crazy For You X1, Sound of Music X1

NATIONAL THEATRE: Welcome To Thebes X1 | London Road X1 | Curious Incident X1 | The Light Princess X1

OTHER: Vampirette (Manchester) X2, Loserville (Leeds) X1

#569 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:17 AM

House full signs are often put outside a theatre when the show has started to give the appearance it's a hit!

I remember there was one show that I know was half full each night, maybe it was Chicago, that put that outside every night.

#570 JoeRH

JoeRH

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:51 AM

I have changed my opinions multiple times on this production a lot. And that was wrong of me. I've never seen the show or AB. Looking back on the comments of AB joining the cast, why not give the girl a go?! It will be nice to see another artist expanding their career to musical theatre. I'm no fan of AB but that's because I've never seen her perform but I'm sure she deserves the role as much as anyone else does. Casting's know what they're doing. After all, she battled it for weeks from millions of people on a well known tv show and won? Surely she has something to give? And I think her first X Factor performance was Whitney's song! I think she's more than capable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users