569 replies to this topic

#131 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

He has NOTHING to do with the Les Mis film. The Bodyguard is in a venue part owned by Really Useful. It's not really surprising.

What IS surprising is all the 4 star reviews for the show which actually read like 2 stars. Weird.

#132 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

View Postpopcultureboy, on 06 December 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

He has NOTHING to do with the Les Mis film. The Bodyguard is in a venue part owned by Really Useful. It's not really surprising.

Well no, but neither has he anything to do with the Bodyguard. Just because he owns the theatre, doesn't mean he has to always go. Was he at the press night for Sweeney Todd? One Man Two Guvnors? Scrooge? Matilda? Shrek? Singin in the Rain (back when the Palace was his)? I just thought seeing as Les Mis is probably a musical he knows very well seeing as its the world's most popular musical for 27 year (despite not actually being his). I just dont understand why he would have prefered to go to another film to stage jukebox musical. Besides if it wasn't for him and I'd Do Anything, Sam Barks wouldn't have been discovered! After all his twitter account tweeted this:

"@OfficialALW: Best of luck to Cameron & the team at @LesMiserables for this evening. Sorry I can't be with you, ALW. #LesMisPremiere #LesMis"

#133 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

View Postjamescrispy94, on 06 December 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

I just thought seeing as Les Mis is probably a musical he knows very well seeing as its the world's most popular musical for 27 year (despite not actually being his).

Perhaps it's because he knows it well he didn't want to go. Maybe he feels he's done his share of sitting through hours of moaning French peasants.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#134 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Good reviews in the Press I see.
"Director Thea Sharrock has done a remarkable job. Her production, spectacularly and ingeniously designed by Tim Hatley, is far more enjoyable than the movie. And there is a thrilling star performance from the Trinidad-born, American-based singer and actress Heather Headley, who, when it comes to selling a song, hitting the high notes and ornamenting a number with vocal swoops and trills, struck me as being at least as fine a singer as Houston in her heyday, if not even better. Heather Headley is mesmerising in this stage version of the early Nineties film that starred the late Whitney Houston as diva Rachel Marron."  The Telegraph

"Heather Headley is a stellar presence, looks stunning in an array of glittery outfits, and is in knockout voice. The show is performed with such an infectious zest and wholehearted commitment that the evening is tremendously enjoyable." The Indepenent

#135 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hopefully seeing this tomorrow. I will reserve judgement until at least the interval ;)

Watching Holly James dance will be worth the ticket price alone:) Also a fan of David Page. I'll be happy to see them both on stage again even if I don't like the show!

#136 musicalover

musicalover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

I saw this in November, and liked it so much I went again and took my daughter. She liked it, but thought the plot could use more work. I loved the music, and would go again and again just to see Heather perform. I liked the dance scene at the end; it lightened the mood. Heather certainly does justice to all the songs, and for me, it's all about the live music.

#137 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

Well... It was indeed great seeing Holly and David on stage again. Even if they and the rest of the ensemble didn't have a whole lot to do. Debbie was also excellent. The kid playing Fletcher was cute. And that's about it. I wasn't bowled over by Heather at all.

#138 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

anyone heard that heather no longer does matinees?

#139 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

This is totally belated but I saw one of the later previews (last week) and was pretty impressed.....

It is visually and technically one of the most impressive things I have seen onstage for a long time (in terms of musicals).

Slick, excellent lighting and really clever staging.

The opening number was exhilarating.

I do not particularly like Whitney Houston songs and went to see this "because I like to see everything".

Sure the acting was ropy and there are loads of holes in the plot. But overall I was entertained, impressed and I had a good time.

The leading lady has a wonderful voice and is a pretty good actress herself too.

Nothing mind blowing but I would recommend to other people for sure.

#140 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

Hello... How restricted are the resricted seats in upper circle if anybody knows??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users