565 replies to this topic

#141 samsam1985

samsam1985

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Best show of 2012. Loved every minute. Is there an indication of how long Heather is staying? Want to be sure im not away for any final shows!

#142 Tino

Tino

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

Very, very bad show. Good performers (although catching HH seems an impossible task, she doesn't perform even when she is supposed to..), probably good money in the production...but it is not good theatre. It's just a tourist trap (nobody around me was talking in English...).. Avoid it unless you are a big fan of the songs.

#143 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

That's only your opinion, which you are entitled to, but surely it is wrong to tell people to stay away.

#144 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:34 AM

So if someone thinks the show is good, is it wrong for them to tell people they should go and see it? Afterall it's only their opinion...

#145 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Yes!
Saying that you liked it, or didn't like is often helpful to others, if valid reasons are given. They can make their own minds up. I tell many people about shows I see, but I let them decide whether its for them or not. Even if I know the person well, and their taste in theatre, I would not tell them to stay away, or they must see it. It is up to them

#146 Stage Hand

Stage Hand

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

So is HH featuring much over this Holiday season the comment from Tino it seems like she may be off.

#147 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

She was on last Thursday and Friday eve but has been off sick since Saturday from what I know. Watched the show on Friday and absolutely loved it.
However, I guess if you're no fan of the songs you may not like the show. For me it was like a fabulous Whitney concert with a story in between.

#148 sandeman

sandeman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Worked in professional theatre for over 20 years.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

She is off with flu so could be a few more days yet

#149 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3361 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Her broadway attendance was always pretty bad

#150 Tino

Tino

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

I can give reasons why I think this is not good theatre. The plot is minimal, hard to follow if you have not seen the film. Nothing is explained...you only have a bad guy who manage (nobody knows how) to be in every place (maybe the bodyguard is supposed to be a good one, but as the person in charge of security-and it's said he is- he should have been fired long before the end of the show..... Sets are nice, but nothing special...curtains, curtains, curtains, those "boxes" we've seen so many times before, barely a few lighted columns (both vertical and horizontal) when there is a song performed...no special effect, no magic at all...remember Ghost? I liked that show, maybe the songs were not so good, but theatrically it was something different, innovative. All big modern musicals have offered something new in their own time....Cats was magical in the way it staged poems, Phantom was a visual feast when it opened, Les Miserables had the revolving stage and the barricades (and a good story), Miss Saigon the helicopter and a great performance from Jonathan Pryce, Lion King a completely new concept in costumes, Billy Elliott was incredibly adapted, performed and directed, Mamma Mia is pure fun....what does this one have? Just a few non original songs and a couple of good voices? Even the choreography is simple and already seen a thousand times. Excellent for a concert, but I wouldn't call it good theatre. Obviously it can be successful, although I doubt it. And, please, when a "star" is important to sell the show, try having her performing....I can't imagine, for instance, what could happen if Mark Rylance were away of  Twelfth night/Richard III so many nights....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users