#381 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Heather's last performance was simply wonderful. I will miss seeing her on stage in London.

#382 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

View PostSteffi, on 11 August 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

Heather's last performance was simply wonderful. I will miss seeing her on stage in London.

So did the many people who booked to see her

#383 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

Most of them will have seen Gloria who is a wonderful Rachel Marron as well.

#384 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

Saw this for the first time on Wednesday evening. Got a good deal at £35 for upper circle seats and a two course meal at Smollenskys on the Strand, really good offer.

Sadly really underwhelmed by the show. Lead (sorry forget her name without the programme, is it Glorida?) had a fantastic voice and really liked Debbie Kurup (saw her as Delores in Sister Act and remember her being great then too). Thought Llyod Owen was okay, nothing special, though that may be more down to the part and playing it straight rather than anything he did.

I just though overall it lacked anything special. I've never seen the film and know all the big songs (but don't have any strong feelings either way about them) but as a piece of musical theatre I wasn't really sold at all. I do like other jukebox shows such as WWRY, Mamma Mia and Jersey Boys but just thought this was a little bit boring really.

I did like how it was quite cinematic with the way the (fantastic) set worked like an opening and closing scene to a film. Some of the projections were quite nice and unusual but the cabin scence I didn't think worked that well, to be honest I wasn't really certain what happened (I won't post more as don't want to spoil it, and not sure how to make a 'spoiler' blackout thing!).

I'm glad I got to see it, but don't think I would go back and wouldn't particularly recommend it to other people. It wasn't that I didn't like it, I just generally thought it was a bit flat. I had been spoiled by the Book of Mormon matinee so perhaps if I hadn't been there I would have enjoyed it more, maybe I was expecting too much!

#385 dazzlair

dazzlair

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:17 AM

Saw the phenomenal Beverley Knight last night and she blew the roof off.  I have a love-hate relationship with this show - the book makes me wince at times. I thought Ms Knight transcended the material - she was almost too good for it.  She hit the soprano notes in Queen of the Night and her I Will Always Love You brought 2 tears to my eyes, which in my world is the same as a hysterical fit.

She also seemed to make everyone raise their game.  I thought Debbie Kurup sounded far better than the last time I saw it. Run To You was spectacular.  She seemed genuinely pleased at the well deserved standing ovation and worked the crowd during I Wanna Dance With Somebody - like only a genuine star can.  It was magical.

On a weird note, there were lots of minor celebs in although the only person I recognised was Katie Piper.  I could have been peeing next to someone famous from Waterloo Road and not even realised it.

#386 seanmcdona

seanmcdona

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

anyone know how this show is selling? and also, is it worth seeing? I've been listening to the music and I adore it! Hoping to see the show in June and I'm not sure if they'll release anymore tickets after March (i think that's the date I saw)

#387 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:06 PM

Pretty full tonight- all three levels open and I could only see a few empty seats.

I've held prejudices about this show- on the whole I don't like jukebox musicals, and I've looked down on this as another piece of tripe cluttering the West End. How wrong could I be?

It's sensational. Beverly Knight is an utter tour de force, the opening number is electrifying, and her voice only gets better after that. And she can act pretty well too. The rest of the cast feel totally fresh - sure, lots of them have only been doing it for a few weeks, but Debbie Kerrup has been there since the first preview and she gives a deeply touching performance. The book at times is a bit weak; Rachel Marron is made out as a bit of two dimensional b*tchy diva at the beginning, but there a some nicely judged scenes (karaoke in particular), and the second half is tighter plot wise.

Thea Sharrock (I don't think she's done anything in the UK since this, has she?) is not a director I'd usually associate with musicals, but frankly, she can do as many as she likes. This is a slick show. It feels like a movie, and that's not because of all the projection. They've restrained themselves on that. Instead we get a very clever design of viewfinder shutters, stunningly lit by Mark Henderson. It runs seemlessly.

Full standing ovation, as yes, as dazzlair says above, the whole cast - Knight in particular - looked genuinely pleased.

I'm so pleased I've seen it. Even the woman next to me who insisted on translating the whole thing to her Spanish mother, in real-time, couldn't spoil it. I grabbed a dayseat at 6.30pm, still fairly central, but they looked to be all taken by the time  the show went up. Front row is a bargain- probably the best in the West End when it comes to a musical.

#388 D'James

D'James

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:57 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 23 September 2013 - 11:06 PM, said:

Pretty full tonight- all three levels open and I could only see a few empty seats.

I've held prejudices about this show- on the whole I don't like jukebox musicals, and I've looked down on this as another piece of tripe cluttering the West End. How wrong could I be?

It's sensational. Beverly Knight is an utter tour de force, the opening number is electrifying, and her voice only gets better after that. And she can act pretty well too. The rest of the cast feel totally fresh - sure, lots of them have only been doing it for a few weeks, but Debbie Kerrup has been there since the first preview and she gives a deeply touching performance. The book at times is a bit weak; Rachel Marron is made out as a bit of two dimensional b*tchy diva at the beginning, but there a some nicely judged scenes (karaoke in particular), and the second half is tighter plot wise.

Thea Sharrock (I don't think she's done anything in the UK since this, has she?) is not a director I'd usually associate with musicals, but frankly, she can do as many as she likes. This is a slick show. It feels like a movie, and that's not because of all the projection. They've restrained themselves on that. Instead we get a very clever design of viewfinder shutters, stunningly lit by Mark Henderson. It runs seemlessly.

Full standing ovation, as yes, as dazzlair says above, the whole cast - Knight in particular - looked genuinely pleased.

I'm so pleased I've seen it. Even the woman next to me who insisted on translating the whole thing to her Spanish mother, in real-time, couldn't spoil it. I grabbed a dayseat at 6.30pm, still fairly central, but they looked to be all taken by the time  the show went up. Front row is a bargain- probably the best in the West End when it comes to a musical.

I didn't enjoy it that much when I saw it but am so tempted to go and see Beverley Knight.  I thought the stage at the Adelphi was really high when I saw Chicago there in the front row. Is it lower now?

#389 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

I thought it was a really lazy film to stage adaptation, and the set cheap looking. But I may go back to see Beverly. I was majorly disappointed in Heather so hopefully I'd enjoy it more second time.

#390 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Anyone day seated on a Saturday for evening performance? I'm looking to do that soon,  and wondered what time I need to get there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users