#41 DeNada

DeNada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

View PostJamie Kenny, on 06 November 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

Anyone going tonight? Intermission thoughts? ;)

It doesn't start for another couple of hours, give it SOME chance!

I might go tonight (I'm a bit of a fan of first previews, gives me a chance to see the show before anyone else can influence me with an opinion), but I also kind of want to see Daddy Long Legs at the St James... choices, choices...

#42 stevepearman

stevepearman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

Can anyone confirm the Bodyguard us doing dayseats thus month? I'm hoping to go in a couple of weeks time

#43 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:47 AM

Was anyone there last night? Looking forward to reading audience reviews

#44 Southstreet

Southstreet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

I went yesterday and had a brilliant time watching a film I swooned over as a young teen (actually I don’t think I was an actual teen yet when it came out) on stage, with fab performers singing Whitney songs I love.

The cast is great, I love Heather Headley, so having her in the West End is amazing, Debbie Kurup was great as well and the guy playing the stalker is one hell of a sexy psychopath. :-) It took me some time to warm to Farmer, but I did like him by the end, plus the fact he is very easy on the eye helped a lot. (Yes, I am that shallow!)
The Fletcher we had was great, I am not big on kids on stage but he didn’t annoy me, which means he must have been decent.
The rest of the cast was good as well, but other than enjoying watching Holly James dance, I have to say I was very pre-occupied watching Heather (she is one of those people that could sing the phone book to me and I’d be happy, love the tone of her voice) and Debbie, those two definitely stood out for me.

It is quite a technical show (as the director was reminding us several times before the show started :-) ), the sets are beautiful to look at and I want that huge “Gingerbread” house they have in the second act, it’s amazing!!! :-)

It was a first preview, so I guess the scene and set transitions that were still pretty clunky yesterday, will all get tightened and smoothed out in the next few weeks. I don’t think the book flowed that well either, but again, hopefully that will get tightened up. The one thing that really needs work IMO is the whole end of the Oscars sequence, it just felt rushed and didn’t really work, being pretty anti-climatic in my opinion.
They made some changes to the story line, Nicki’s part has been extended and the two baddies got combined into one, but essentially the story hasn't changed.

So my overall verdict, I had a brilliant time, walked out of the theatre smiling and humming the songs and will definitely be back. But then I have a soft spot for the film and love Whitney Houston.
Would I not know the film or be a huge Whitney fan and just judge it as a stand-alone piece of musical theatre, it’s probably not that great. But I guess that is the case with most jukebox musicals/film to stage adaptations.

#45 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the report.

How busy was it? I saw a couple of coaches waiting to pick up as I walked past just after 10.
What was the running time?

#46 Southstreet

Southstreet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

The stalls were pretty full, both upper levels were open, but you can't really see how busy they are from the stalls. But it definitely seemed pretty full overall. I think I got out at 10.10pm-ish.

#47 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

Odd that when I checked the booking page for the theatre it was showing "Sold Out" for last night and several more to come.  I know they always claim that for press night but for the first few previews...?   And it clearly wasn't.

#48 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

There will be allocations of seats with other booking agents, so those are marked as not available even if not sold.

Seats are available for all prices for tonight.

#49 Jamie Kenny

Jamie Kenny

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

*SPOILER* Is Nikki still murdered in the show?

#50 James84

James84

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

If you're going to write about a spoiler, then perhaps put the spolier in white text (that can be highlighted to be viewed), or a few lines further down?  Putting it straight after the word "spoiler" doesn't really hide it very well from those (like me) who don't know the plot!!  Thanks :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users