569 replies to this topic

#61 EyesLikeFires

EyesLikeFires

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

View PostMantaray, on 08 November 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

You do know you were at a second preview?

Saying that, they really should go back to reduced ticket prices for previews.

Yes i realise it was a preview. I love going to them whilst they are still rough around the edges, which is all very well, but this still has a long way to go. I genuinely want it to do really well, I totally agree with you that Preview performance tickets should be next to nothing. I paid a lot to see......a little.

#62 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

"Saying that, they really should go back to reduced ticket prices for previews."

They are doing £10 off all prices during the previews of Bodyguard, which is pretty standard for those shows which actually offer cheaper prices in previews nowadays isn't it?

#63 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

Yes it is standard but it is not enough of a discount to warrant the 'well its previews so its ok to be a mess' excuse. As long as they are charging full price (or only a minor discount) people have every right to expect a nearly completed show.

Its interesting that the criticisms being made of the show (book, set) are similar to Love Never Dies.  The main positives ive read are on the cast, mainly Heather.

#64 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

A minor discount is still a discount, and therefore they aren't charging full price. And it is a nearly completed show! General consensus seems to be it has some technical and some book issues. That's hardly what I would call "a mess". Scenes unwritten or under-rehearsed, collapsing or non existent sets, THAT would be a mess. As shows go, it's hardly Spider-Man Turn Off The Dark, is it?

#65 EyesLikeFires

EyesLikeFires

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

View Postpopcultureboy, on 08 November 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

A minor discount is still a discount, and therefore they aren't charging full price. And it is a nearly completed show! General consensus seems to be it has some technical and some book issues. That's hardly what I would call "a mess". Scenes unwritten or under-rehearsed, collapsing or non existent sets, THAT would be a mess. As shows go, it's hardly Spider-Man Turn Off The Dark, is it?

Then i would urge you to see it as i would be intrigued to know what you thought. Like i said, it wasn't just the technical mis-haps (and there were quite a few), but there are some noticable issues with the book, some of the interlude links were ill-fitted, even the positioning of lighting was obviously and noticeably inappropriate. This show is going to be amazing, and has so much potential, i just personally think it needs workshopping more.

Great cast, and fantastic ensemble as well. Some of the songs don't fit as well as other potential songs and some simple tidying up with graphics could help explain and tell the story a bit better, which is left to interpretation at the moment.

I still do not understand the opening scene, which maybe due to a couple of false starts - but i really would like to know what others thought. By no means do i want to deter anyone from seeing it, after some tweaks, it will be fantastic!!! :)

#66 Jamie Kenny

Jamie Kenny

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Can someone post a songlist?

#67 Southstreet

Southstreet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

I actually forgot about the opening scene. Clearly left a lasting impression. LOL Yeah, I guess it was a slightly unsatisfying try to set up Farmer as the Bodyguard and show he is willing to die for his charge or something? ;p

The first preview didn't have any obvious technical problems, other than the scene and set transitions being very slow and clunky and quite often you could hear the sets creak a bit as it moved, but I sat front row, so I don't know how audible that was further back. Same for lighting, I guess you won't notice lighting glitches (unless they are huge) from the front row.

As for the tracklist, they haven't got this sorted into scenes yet  (maybe they won't), but this is the songlist from the programme:

All at once
All the man that I need
How will I know
I have nothing
I've every woman
I'm your baby tonight
I wanna dance with somebody (which is the megamix/let's dance at the end number)
I will always love you
Jesus loves me
Oh, Yes
One moment in time
Queen of the night
Run to you
Saving all my love
So emotional

#68 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

There's a lot of issues with the book in this one, along with direction. I don't know how to do spoiler tags, so please skip if you are unfamiliar with the film!!

This tries to be as loyal to the film as possible, but it's for that reason that it fails in many parts. Scenes are very, very short, the set is constantly moving every few minutes, and the iconic moments are very anticlimaxical. My favourite part in the film is in the nightclub when she's wearing that costume and head piece - yet in stage this, along with the finale - are done in slow motion. Slow motion! There's no drama, no sense of danger that a killer is near, and it loses the sense of reality.

The finale is perhaps the biggest let down - Farmer should quite literally run on stage and shove Rachel to the ground, get shot and the whole stage should cut to black, leaving the audience unsure who did get hit  - just like the film. Instead, Farmer comes walking on stage James Bond style pointing his gun all over, they go into slow motion to emphasis the gun has a target light on it.

The book though, bit of a mess. For some silly reason they really make the audience believe Farmer likes Rachel's sister, but he then goes and sleeps with Rachel on their first date, with Rachel pushing it in her sisters face (which of course, is all very classy behaviour!). The only real love development comes from part, as there's something lacking in other scenes where Rachel is supposed to show complete dependence on Frank.

They try to bring the setting up to date with mobile phones etc, but major flaw - the killer enters the house and becomes a security guard - yet we had scenes previously talking about security cameras being installed! The mentions of twitter and Facebook are also out of place I felt.

One thing I did enjoy though is the actress who plays Rachel - girl can do star attitude and make it believeable! Shame about her voice. She's good at singing without a doubt, but if you want to do this musical you need someone who can not just sing, but sing Whitney. She was often lost in the music, relied on backing singers and it was only when someone else sang I felt you could really tell it wasn't always a mic issue, as they sang fine.

I Will Always Love You starts off stage, and contains a costume change during the musical interlude in the middle of the song. To do the last chorus, a platform rises, but that was all - the needed note at this part of the song was missed, which was a shame, but essential as if you are going to sing Whitney, you need to be able to do Whitney.

Best musical number was I'm Every Woman. Show ends with a singalong Dance With Somebody.

If I stay awake, it must be good.

#69 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

I think the show will be slaughtered by the critics but I think it should run for a year or so. Its pointless trying to be faithful to the film as some things just don't translate to stage well at all.

#70 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

Friend of mine text me at interval saying how bad it is

i have to say the megamix sounds very naff and not in keeping with a musical drama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users