#81 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

View PostBamba, on 09 November 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

I was really excited about going to see this and went in to buy tickets!  The Box Office man in the Adelphi Theatre was so very rude and unhelpful, that I left without buying or really investigating!!  However, I did see that some of the stalls were £95!!  I am so gobsmacked by this - think ordinary folk are being priced out here!!  I can't do day seats because can;t get down to London early enough!!  Am still excited to see this at some point but its been very much delayed at the moment!!

I've found the Adelphi staff to be quite rude myself. And £95? That's mad. I know they want to recoup but £95 for 2 and a bit hours of entertainment...

#82 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:45 AM

I saw the first preview from a very full Upper Circle. It was a very successful first preview in terms of running the show. Only 2 or 3 blackouts a little bit longer than usual and a couple of visible torches changing sets but apart from that, it ran well, but Thea Sharrock gave a first preview speech at the beginning just in case!

However, running smoothly or not, make no mistake that The Bodyguard is simply a terrible musical.

Positives first: Queen of the Night is a great opening number. Yes, OK, it's one of Rachel's "performances" which is often seen as a cop out but it's one of the most effective numbers in the show. Of course this is helped by the fact that it's being performed by Heather Headley who is, admittedly, astoundingly good. Her vocals are great, even if not all of the songs are in the same keys as they were originally. Her acting is also good, given what she has to work with.

Which brings me on to the terrible book. Not only are songs shoe-horned in, the dialogue itself is just plain crap. I have never seen the movie, so I don't know if it's lifted straight from there. Some of the scenarios are just plain weird. I didn't believe for one minute that Frank Farmer is the kind of guy who would get up in a karaoke bar and give us a tune. The ending is another unbelievable moment. It's almost like : "I've been shot. I gotta go." "OK." "See ya." "AND IIIII WILL ALWAYS LOOOOVEEE YOU." It just sort of stops dead. And then after the customary leaping-to-the-feet of the audience for the duration of the bows, they proceed to give a rendition of "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" when I all I really wanted to do was leave.

Yeah. Nonsense.

The set is one of the most garish things I've ever seen, which is something of an upset after Tim Hatley's wonderful design for Betty Blue Eyes. As mentioned above they are loud and cumbersome and not only is it difficult to decipher where some scenes are set, we get the idea that Rachel Marron must live in a house made entirely out of curtains. The main set in Act Two is wonderful and comes out of nowhere (if you've seen the film I'm sure you can guess what it is) and the scenes based around there are probably the best in the show, with real tension being created. But it soon goes back downhill.

As mentioned above, the songs barely function as musical numbers. As such, this show is not really a musical. "Run To You" is the single effective song in Act I, likewise with "I Will Always Love You" in Act II, though the latter seems to come out of nowhere and was not nearly as emotional and engaging as it should have been.

The audience was terrible, but I suppose you can expect that. After applause for every key change and high note, The Bodyguard just feels like some kind of Whitney-Houston-X-Factor Crapfest. Even the little boy is applauded as if he were overcoming the death of his grandmother to audition for Britain's Got Talent. It has now got the point where audiences will applaud anything that they are familiar with just because they are familiar with it. They'll always give standing ovations and avoid anything new or interesting.

Some of the supporting performances are good (from the likes of Debbie Kurup and Ray Shell) but the characters are so 1 dimensional, they are hardly memorable.

I suppose the closest thing to accurately compare The Bodyguard with is GHOST. GHOST, however, is like West Side Story in comparison. The Bodyguard presented a great opportunity for a brilliant dramatic musical with a great score (which is, in my opinion, something GHOST achieved) but as such is basically a Whitney Houston tribute show. And one that I don't think will be cluttering up The Strand for any longer than 2 years.

#83 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

I had the opposite experience at the Adelphi box office.  The woman I dealt with was friendly and ultra-helpful.  It depends who you get and what day it is.

And by the way day seats are selling at 25 pounds, first row, excellent view.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#84 Lady Nijo

Lady Nijo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

The box-office guy was fine when I bought tickets from him. Maybe he was having a moment.

Saw this on the problem-plagued second preview. Technical problems aside, I really enjoyed it and was singing Whitney all the way home. Went in there not having seen the movie (and still haven't) and I can kinda see why the film, or at least, the soundtrack, was so popular.

Heather is the real deal. She can act and boy, can she sing. Agree that when Heather wasn't singing the Whitney songs they just didn't sit right. Saving All My Love and How Will I Know being prime examples. And the projections need to go. Felt very cheesy - like a music video from the 90s.

But overall, I loved it. And am going back for more.

#85 wls250

wls250

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

Also can everyone that's seen this just take a minute and think back to the chase scene projection after
Spoiler
Comical GOLD.

#86 Caz

Caz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, walking around London

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

Hi Everybody,

Went to see this today (matinee) Heather has been told to rest! so Gloria  Onitri was the alternative Rachel Marron, she certainly has a great voice, never seen Heather before so cannot compare. As for the the show.... l think its going to be a bit like Marmite  ... your either gonna love it or hate it! Have to say l know its still in previews but l found the guy who plays Frank Farmer, LLoyd Owen shows no personality at all and in my opinion wrong for the part... but hey that's just my opinion. The show started 10 minutes late - l have to be honest... during the first half l kept asking myself was l going to stay or leave in the interval..... l stayed... cos l had paid to much to leave! l sort of enjoyed it.....didn't leave the theatre singing the songs...just wanted to get home... so l guess that says it all.... .sometimes, films should be left as films and not transferred onto stage... !

Best wishes
Caz

#87 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

I got a day ticket at 5:20pm. Had they all sold out? 95 is premium, I'm guessing cheaper seats were definitely available. Everytime I've gone to the Adelphi box office they always been more than happy to help.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#88 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

Reckon I'll get a day seat if I head there for 10 on Saturday?

#89 rextoric

rextoric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

View Postrextoric, on 29 October 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

Apologies if this sounds ignorant. It is my first post here, so please don't flame me! :P

Am I allowed to buy 2 day seats if I am the only one queuing up? Or must I get my gf to queue with me? I would prefer not to trouble her, but it would be very disappointing if I am told on the day that each person is entitled to only one ticket.

Grateful for the advice. :)

With the box office now open, do they allow each queuing person to buy 2 day tickets? I live outside London so thought it was better to seek advice before travelling down...

Thanks very much in advance. :-)

#90 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

Yes, two tickets per person.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic