- - - - -

What Do You Do With A BA Hons Degree In Performance?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#11 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:16 PM

Have a read of this thread - http://www.whatsonstage.com/board/index.php?showtopic=4639
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#12 akb

akb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE(Haz @ Oct 16 2008, 04:16 PM) View Post

Amazing- thanks guys, I was kinda meaning more postgrad specific choices re the Drama Schools? Any ideas x

#13 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:31 PM

Read my post at the bottom of page 1 of this thread...

#14 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE(akb @ Oct 5 2008, 06:10 PM) View Post
I graduated with a good degree in Performing Arts this Summer, and am at a loss as to what to do with it. I started a PGCE in Secondary drama teaching and am really not enjoying it at all. I have had a week in school recently and just felt uneasy and uncomfortable throughout the entire week. I do not doubt for a second that teaching is a fantastic qualification to have but I just do not feel in the right place for this right now. But then I think I would regret it if i gave it up. So I am left thinking what do i do? I have two very pushy parents who will hate me and pretty much disown me if I drop it. And I dont want to let them down but i feel sick and emotional every time I think of teaching.

I know you can't tell me what to do but I just am at such a loss. Do I continue the course and just do it and get it out the way despite how its making me feel? Or do I quit now and look for a job that is more within my reach and enjoyment? And risk regretting it?

I have only just turned 21 and dont want to make doing anything I might disagree with in the future.......

At the same time, what ELSE can you do with a degree in something like performing arts other than TEACH?!?!

Please help!

I know you've asked about musical theatre course since this but - in answer to this post FINISH THE COURSE.  At 21 you still have a long time to work out what you want to do but you should definitely still finish the course.  I gave up my masters (no one there to push me) but I made my younger sibling compete hers.  I know which of us is better off.  Finish the course and then do whatever you want.  That way you get a qualification you can use in the future if you want to, you keep your parents off your back and you can feel fully justified in doing something that makes you happier afterwards.  That's a much better way to go about things than being the person who quit.

#15 SoonerOrLater

SoonerOrLater

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 17 2008, 11:39 PM) View Post
I know you've asked about musical theatre course since this but - in answer to this post FINISH THE COURSE. At 21 you still have a long time to work out what you want to do but you should definitely still finish the course. I gave up my masters (no one there to push me) but I made my younger sibling compete hers. I know which of us is better off. Finish the course and then do whatever you want. That way you get a qualification you can use in the future if you want to, you keep your parents off your back and you can feel fully justified in doing something that makes you happier afterwards. That's a much better way to go about things than being the person who quit.

I would have to agree with the above, I actually did the reverse and did my post-grad (RADA/Kings college) and I'm now trying to get onto a pgce course, the pgce is a strong qualification when moving in other areas as well as teaching (managment skills taught on that have a high rating with employers) whereas a high level performance degree can be frowned upon by empolyers-after 18 months of trying to get a 'real' job in both theatre and other areas I have found that to be so.

#16 iv2jrm

iv2jrm

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:06 PM

Just wanted to point a couple of things out to the OP. Do be aware that if you do decide to go on to do a 3yr course at a drama school that you will not receive funding or any loan for it. http://www.hefce.ac.uk/Learning/funding/elq/

You do not have to teach after doing a PGCE. Stick it out and get your QTS. With your degree, you can become an Education Manager for somewhere like the Soutbank or Education Co-ordinator for your LEA or an independent school. Also, the percentage of performers making money out of their trade is minute, should you ever choose to leave the country, trust me, you will be thankful for your teaching qualification. Maybe you would be better suited to a lower key stage. You can teach Drama at middle school as well don't forget.

You can also choose to do a MA in Acting somewhere like CSSD or E15 to 'top-up' your performance skill after your PGCE.

Speaking as someone with a BA in Drama from QMUL + a MA from CSSD, I have worked professionally as an actor and have also taught and still do teach which is where the bulk of my income comes from but I am now having to go the Teacher Training route to get a proper teaching qualification just to give myself more option. I thought all I would ever want to do was act but as much as I love the act of acting, I hate the job of acting - I know how easy it is to look at the job through rose-tinted glasses but the reality of it is that you might find yourself just as dissatisfied with performing as a career.

I really enjoy teaching and I really enjoy working with my teens but I know I don't want to do it forever and equally I love acting but it will lead me to depression should I continue so my middle ground is going into Education Management. As already mentioned trying to get a job in the Arts Management with a BA & MA does not open as many doors as it would in other fields but a BA & a PGCE most definitely does. Stick with the course, you will be glad you did!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users