21 replies to this topic

#1 Ghostmusicalfan

Ghostmusicalfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

Break a leg to all cast and crew for tonight's World Premiere of Monkee Business.  And also congratulations to ATG for bringing another World Premiere to Manchester.
2013:

JANUARY: Peter Pan (Mcr Opera House), One Man Two Guvnors (Lowry), Of Mice and Men (Bolton Octagon), Moscow State Circus (Lowry)
FEBRUARY: Priscilla (Mcr Opera House), Jethro (Lowry), Guinness World Records (Lowry), Peacock & Gamble (Lowry)
MARCH: Book of Mormon (LDN), Billy Elliot (LDN), Horrible Histories (Lowry), New Jersey Nights (Mcr Opera House), 8 out of 10 Cats (Media City), Hairspray (School Production), The Hollies (Lowry), Marti Pellow (Lowry), Sing-a-long a Grease (Lowry), Rocky Horror (Mcr Opera House)
APRIL: Ghost on Tour Cardiff x6, Ghost on Tour Wimbledon x1
MAY: Woman in Black (Lowry), Blues Brothers - Approved (Mcr Opera House), Ghost on Tour Edinburgh x3, Carnaby Street (Mcr Opera House)
JUNE: Omid Djalili (Lowry) Ghost on Tour Wolverhampton x2, Ghost on Tour Leeds x4, Sherlock Holmes (Mcr Opera House)
JULY:  Ghost on Tour Manchester x23, Joseph (Stockport Plaza), Rehearsal Space (Mcr Fringe), Countdown (Media City), Mastermind (Media City), Dave Grusin & Lee Ritenor (Mcr Fringe), Disney Live (Lowry), Momentous Musicals (Mcr Palace)
AUGUST:  Grease (Mcr Palace), Soul Sister (L'pool Empire), How to Succeed in Business (Lowry), Evita (Lowry), Ghost Nottingham, 9 to 5 (Mcr Opera House), NYMT West Side Story (Victoria Warehouse Mcr)
SEPTEMBER:  Blood Brothers (Lowry), Cabaret (Mcr Opera House), Ghost Bristol x2, Nina Conti (Lowry), Ghost Milton Keynes x4, Chicago (Oldham Coliseum), Once London
OCTOBER: Ghost Glasgow x3, The Illusionists (Mcr Apollo), Wicked (Mcr Palace), Rocky Horror (Wolverhampton), Stephen K Amoss (Lowry)
NOVEMBER: Ghost Southampton x2, Ghost is Dancing (Mayflower),Ghost Woking, Cabaret Fandangles (Kings Arms), War Horse (Lowry), Rent (Mcr Palace), Ghost Sunderland x2
DECEMBER: Ghost Birmingham x3

#2 Ghostmusicalfan

Ghostmusicalfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:29 PM

Just got home from seeing this,  I will keep my comments brief.  I wish I had stayed at home!!!
2013:

JANUARY: Peter Pan (Mcr Opera House), One Man Two Guvnors (Lowry), Of Mice and Men (Bolton Octagon), Moscow State Circus (Lowry)
FEBRUARY: Priscilla (Mcr Opera House), Jethro (Lowry), Guinness World Records (Lowry), Peacock & Gamble (Lowry)
MARCH: Book of Mormon (LDN), Billy Elliot (LDN), Horrible Histories (Lowry), New Jersey Nights (Mcr Opera House), 8 out of 10 Cats (Media City), Hairspray (School Production), The Hollies (Lowry), Marti Pellow (Lowry), Sing-a-long a Grease (Lowry), Rocky Horror (Mcr Opera House)
MAY: Woman in Black (Lowry), Blues Brothers - Approved (Mcr Opera House), Ghost on Tour Edinburgh x3, Carnaby Street (Mcr Opera House)
JUNE: Omid Djalili (Lowry) Ghost on Tour Wolverhampton x2, Ghost on Tour Leeds x4, Sherlock Holmes (Mcr Opera House)
JULY:  Ghost on Tour Manchester x23, Joseph (Stockport Plaza), Rehearsal Space (Mcr Fringe), Countdown (Media City), Mastermind (Media City), Dave Grusin & Lee Ritenor (Mcr Fringe), Disney Live (Lowry), Momentous Musicals (Mcr Palace)
AUGUST:  Grease (Mcr Palace), Soul Sister (L'pool Empire), How to Succeed in Business (Lowry), Evita (Lowry), Ghost Nottingham, 9 to 5 (Mcr Opera House), NYMT West Side Story (Victoria Warehouse Mcr)
SEPTEMBER:  Blood Brothers (Lowry), Cabaret (Mcr Opera House), Ghost Bristol x2, Nina Conti (Lowry), Ghost Milton Keynes x4, Chicago (Oldham Coliseum), Once London
OCTOBER: Ghost Glasgow x3, The Illusionists (Mcr Apollo), Wicked (Mcr Palace), Rocky Horror (Wolverhampton), Stephen K Amoss (Lowry)
NOVEMBER: Ghost Southampton x2, Ghost is Dancing (Mayflower),Ghost Woking, Cabaret Fandangles (Kings Arms), War Horse (Lowry), Rent (Mcr Palace), Ghost Sunderland x2

#3 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

Really glad I didn't buy a ticket for this judging by some of the comments on twitter. Did they paper the house? If you look for tickets past previews they've barely sold any.

Seemed like a stupid time to open. Wonderful Town is opening at the Lowry and Phantom coming next week.

#4 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

Please elaborate....

#5 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

Was it really that bad? The acting, singing, staging - everything?

#6 Ghostmusicalfan

Ghostmusicalfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

In a word yes!  The set was very cheap looking and reminded me of an amateur pantomime with cut out skylines from around the world slid onto the stage by poles painted the same colour as the floor in an attempt to hide them.The company were to be fair vocally good with the 4 leads obviously taking much of the limelight although the sound mix was very poor and hearing them above the band was sometimes difficult to say the least.  There was a company of 17 from memory although this could quite easily have been cut to 12 without any loss of effect.The acting in my view was poor however, to be honest when you have a poor script it transpires on stage through no fault of the actors.  The storyline was more like a farce with a group of lookalikes ravelling the world impersonating the Monkees as the real ones were too busy to tour.All in all a very poor show which I can't see surviving past the initial tour and the theatres in London can be safe in the knowledge that there will be no Monkee Business heading their way.  Some audience members last night left at the interval.These of course are my views and would love to hear others.
2013:

#7 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

it was a complete joke!a few people left at the interval.i don't see this carrying on much longer to be honest.. a talented cast from brilliant shows seemingly selling out and committing to this.. did not like.

#8 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

The reviews are terrible. 1 star from What's on Stage. I wonder if they'll scrap it after the 3 touring venues?

'You're not too sure whether you are watching a pantomime, a musical or just a bad farce, it is a notion that needs to be taken right back to the drawing board.'

'Dancers are quite frequently out of time with one another.'

'a truly embarrassing script.'

'the ensemble do their best with the pitiful material they have been given.'

'this is a real let down of a world premiere and needs to be taken back to the rehearsal room.'

Edited by Zippy, 04 April 2012 - 10:50 AM.

#9 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

Can we have Scarlette back at the Shaftesbury please? Thanks :)

#10 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

A few more reviews

1.5*s from The Public Reviews: http://www.thepublic...use-manchester/

Also scathing review from British Theatre Guide: http://www.britishth...a-house-ma-7401
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users