84 replies to this topic

#1 AnnieInTheStalls

AnnieInTheStalls

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Any opinions on whether this is worth seeing? My father tells me it's a dull play. Although judging by the poster, Madonna, David Beckham, Tony Blair and Boris Johnson are also in the cast, which could be interesting.

#2 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

Well SRB usually worth an outing. Play not dull but a a bit of a one noter.

#3 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

Your father knows you better than we do. He's politely telling you that it's not really for you.

#4 coramboy

coramboy

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

I really like that poster. There's something slightly unsettling about it...

#5 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

I'll definetly go and see it at the cinema. First time I will see a production of this play.

I have already booked to see two more Shakespeare plays for the first time (in the original language), thanks to the festival. Hope these productions wont let me down.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#6 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

You're not going to get many opportunities to see this play, particularly with a lead performer of this calibre. It's a weird one but not without a certain intrigue. See it while there's a good chance it'll be high-quality, tick it off your list, move on. :3
Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#7 Whenindisgrace

Whenindisgrace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

The play is certainly worth seeing a few times in one's life - this'll be my third.  The Trevor Nunn modern dress one at the Old Vic in the early 90s stands out in my memory with Suchet as Timon and Barry Foster as Apemantus (I think) - the whole thing billed (by the media) of course as Poirot meets Van der Valk.  I think it's a great role for SRB.

#8 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:12 AM

View PostWhenindisgrace, on 01 April 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

The play is certainly worth seeing a few times in one's life - this'll be my third.  The Trevor Nunn modern dress one at the Old Vic in the early 90s stands out in my memory with Suchet as Timon and Barry Foster as Apemantus (I think) - the whole thing billed (by the media) of course as Poirot meets Van der Valk.  I think it's a great role for SRB.

I remember that one. Jerome Flynn was an excellent Alcibiades. Then there was the mud-slinging Globe version a few years back - not one to be a groundling at. But like Troilus and Cressida and Pericles and King John, it's one to see when you get the chance - and you don't often get the oppurtunity to see it with a Great Actor in the lead as it's not one they feel they have to tick off.

#9 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

Well I've booked but not til September so hope SRB is in good health and good form all summer.

#10 Whenindisgrace

Whenindisgrace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

I always have a good time at the lesser known plays because I suspect they're usually put on by people who believe in them and want to do them - rather than the Buggins' turn procedure that operates with some plays.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users