"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#23 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2075 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

There.Now can someone make the board work properly again :)

#24 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

View Postxanderl, on 06 April 2012 - 09:10 AM, said:

Now can someone make the board work properly again :)
I've gone back and fixed the original links as well.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#25 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2075 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

Thanks

#26 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:08 PM

I went to the first preview of this tonight! (Cue two adorably confused elderly women - one of whom sounded exactly like Dame Maggie Smith - wondering why they hadn't seen any reviews and worrying that this meant the play was ghastly. I pointed out that it was first night and they were vastly relieved.)

Anyway, I'd never seen either the play or SRB before, but I liked them both. SRB is really amazing. The two halves of Timon's fortunes are so very different, but SRB pulls both off with confidence and flair. And goodness, whoever was in charge of his costume after the interval did a good job...

As for the play itself, yes, there are some rough edges, and it felt a little over-long to me (2:40, I believe, including a 20-minute interval, so not actually all that long), but it was effective and intriguing nonetheless. Perhaps not eminently quotable - although I'd have to go a second time to judge that - but there are definitely scenes that will stay with me. The second dinner party scene in particular!

Even though it was the first preview, I didn't notice any significantly flubbed lines or mishaps (perhaps a slight repeat here or there, but that might be on purpose). The theatre was sold out and the applause was deafening; more than that, there was lots of discussion going on around me at the interval and afterwards. So it looks like cast & crew are humming along nicely and have a good production on their hands! (NB: Most of the supporting cast seem to be shared with Antigone, which makes sense. So if you've seen Antigone, you may encounter a lot of familiar faces!)

Oh, one last thing - I've already mentioned SRB's awesomeness, but I should also mention Hilton McRae's Apemantus, which was simply superb (his dark charisma pings!), and Deborah Findlay's Flavia (Timon's steward - they've genderflipped the role), which is teetering on the edge of being great and will probably get all the way there before too many performances. The scenes where McRae and SRB are acting together are quite wonderful.

#27 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1234 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

The problem with the play is that the surviving text appears inconsistent and unfinished, is anyone credited with "adapting" it for NT ? (I hope to God not Richard Bean). In the (very good) Trevor Nunn/David Suchet version Nunn later admitted he'd written scores of lines of it himself to make sense of it

#28 Whenindisgrace

Whenindisgrace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Thanks, exuberantlyblue, that's exactly what I want to read about a production I'm seeing in two months - enough detail to whet the appetite, no spoilers and praise, especially of my favourite actor (SRB).  Very much looking forward to it.

#29 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1777 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 11 July 2012 - 06:56 AM, said:

The problem with the play is that the surviving text appears inconsistent and unfinished, is anyone credited with "adapting" it for NT ? (I hope to God not Richard Bean). In the (very good) Trevor Nunn/David Suchet version Nunn later admitted he'd written scores of lines of it himself to make sense of it

Dunno, but SRB said, on the Marr show was it? that they'd written lines for this too, and that you had to because it was so disjointed.

#30 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1234 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

View PostAlexandra, on 11 July 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

Dunno, but SRB said, on the Marr show was it? that they'd written lines for this too, and that you had to because it was so disjointed.

Disjointed and oddly seems to include two "final" scenes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users