84 replies to this topic

#51 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2091 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

Interested to see that the NT Live showing of this at my local cinema has sold out, while Last of the Hausmanns and Curious Incident havent

"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#52 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

Which cinema?

#53 steveatplays

steveatplays

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:31 AM

Yes, SRB was splendid in this. As Timon, he is equally stupid, both before and after his credit crunch, and yet I felt for him anyway. A wonderful and timely play. :)

#54 Theatresquirrel

Theatresquirrel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

Spectacular production. Absolutely loved it. A lot of reviews imply the first half is better than the second; not true. SRB only really gets to act once the latter gets underway, and here you get the unforgettable showdown with Hilton McRae. Surely the latter deserves an Olivier nomination for this. On the strength of his performance here, I'd cast him in a trenchcoat pacing the sidelines of every play I ever directed. He's superb. As is Lynnette Edwards in a small but pivotal role as a glacial politician. And indeed Deborah Findlay does her usual thing of totally enthralling you with such grace and style. I remember the first time I ever saw her: striding fiercely across the Olivier stage into the palace of Sicilia, swinging big Bond Street designer bags, as Paulina in Hytner's The Winter's Tale. To see her shuffle tentatively across that same stage now with an Iceland carrier bag, is very potent. Gorgeous production in every way - Hytner at his very best.

#55 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostTheatresquirrel, on 04 August 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

Spectacular production. Absolutely loved it. A lot of reviews imply the first half is better than the second; not true. SRB only really gets to act once the latter gets underway, and here you get the unforgettable showdown with Hilton McRae. Surely the latter deserves an Olivier nomination for this. On the strength of his performance here, I'd cast him in a trenchcoat pacing the sidelines of every play I ever directed. He's superb. As is Lynnette Edwards in a small but pivotal role as a glacial politician. And indeed Deborah Findlay does her usual thing of totally enthralling you with such grace and style. I remember the first time I ever saw her: striding fiercely across the Olivier stage into the palace of Sicilia, swinging big Bond Street designer bags, as Paulina in Hytner's The Winter's Tale. To see her shuffle tentatively across that same stage now with an Iceland carrier bag, is very potent. Gorgeous production in every way - Hytner at his very best.

Really looking forward to this! Fine squirrel by the way! B)

#56 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

Saw this yesterday, it was much better than I was expecting.

I think my start point was at least I can tick Timon of Athens from the list with a production with SRB.

But it is SRB, Hytner, a National Production, Olivier setting, full list of supporting cast led by the excellent Deborah Findlay etc.

I liked the first half, I see what the poster above means, but the second half is Simon Russell Beale's. Another fine performance from one of our leading stage actors.

#57 AnnieInTheStalls

AnnieInTheStalls

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

The first half had much to commend it. I really enjoyed the first 15 minutes, plus the ghastly banquet. But I'm afraid I found the second half quite tedious. Deborah Findlay made an admirable effort to project to the back rows, but in my row B seat I found her rather hectoring. I did like her Iceland bag and hoodie though.

#58 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

This is quite good, in the Hytner NT house style which is becoming a little tired, but not really better than several other productions of the play I have seen. The text was cut and rearranged and added to very well albeit not to the same radical level as Trevor Nunn (he started his production with a bank robbery - guess why).

SRB was generally very good but in the second half he didn't totally convince me as a down-and-out because he is too fat. There. I've said it.

#59 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:18 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 21 August 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

SRB was generally very good but in the second half he didn't totally convince me as a down-and-out because he is too fat. There. I've said it.

As someone who has been on a diet for over a year, I can tell you that weight doesn't come off that quickly no matter how little you eat. Alas.

This is the first production I've seen of this play, and I went into the theatre with a slight sense of dread, having read the text and found it utterly dreary. In the event I found it hugely absorbing and a top production - very clever and excellent casting all round. The second half def felt longer than the first, but it didn't drag. And I loved SRB's Benny-from-Crossroads hat...!

#60 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostAbby, on 22 August 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

And I loved SRB's Benny-from-Crossroads hat...!

How about his frequent clutching of his own groin which seems to be a new acting weapon he has introduced to his considerable armoury ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users